Beach day in Mykonos or Olympia

Shellyrv

My daughter would like to go to a beach for a couple hours during our cruise and these are the locations we don’t have excursions scheduled. Can y’all help me with information about which places she can go and the best, inexpensive transportation options to the beach. Thanks in advance!

Katacolon is a small village with just a couple of scrubby little beaches, one to the left as you exit the port gate has a bar.

The port is really for Olympia, about half-an-hour away. If ancient Greek sites are your thing that's where you should head - if not, make the best you can of a rather poor beach day cos there's nothing else of interest.

Mykonos is a delightful harbour backed by immaculate little alleyways and its iconic line of windmills, with rocky Little Venice off to one side.

But the harbour's "beach" 🙄 isn't somewhere you'd want to spend the day, far worse than Katacolon.

A couple of highly recommended beaches a taxi ride away, tho we've not been to either.

Certainly the best place for a beach day, tho do try to fit in an hour or so back at the village's harbour, then water bus back to the cruise terminal (or ship's tender from the harbour if your ship is moored off-shore) 

JB 🙂 

• Like 1

We are also interested in spending some time in the harbor town and then getting to a beach for a few hours during our day in Mykonos. From what I understand taxis are not plentiful. Should be book a private transfer in advance?

3 hours ago, lindaofpa said:

We are also interested in spending some time in the harbor town and then getting to a beach for a few hours during our day in Mykonos. From what I understand taxis are not plentiful. Should be book a private transfer in advance?

There are also frequent buses. Search this board for lots of info.

Just now, marazul said:

There are also frequent buses. Search this board for lots of info.

I have done a good bit of reading regarding buses, the problem with planning this particular day is that we are in port from 7 am until 2 pm. I am worried about the reliability of buses in general, but especially during such early hours

The buses are generally reliable.  But you do not have a lot of time there,  If you go to the town first, a lot of places will be closed.   You may or may not enjoy an early swim.  There are some half day jeep tours that would take you to a few places with swim stops. A private transfer would, of course, work too.