Belize Cave Tubing -- Snakes?

*CruiseFan*

I know I could post this in that forum, but I'd really like to get you Carnival folks take on it. I've reserved for a group of 7 through an outside excursion company (won't say which so it doesn't get starred!) and recently I was talking to my boyfriend's mother who said something about snakes?

My question is - to those of you who have been in Belize and done the cave tubing, Carnival sponsored or not, did you have a problem with snakes and if so, how was it handled? I've heard that a man was bitten and the only reason he survived is because the snake bit something else. My point is, it would really make me mad to get injured on my cruise because then I'd miss half of my vacation and that's no fun! I know the possibility is slim to none, but I just wanted to know a bit more about the snake situation she was talking about :)

Thanks!

We have gone cave tubing twice and were assured both times by the guides that their are no snakes in the river. The joke they made was that the only snakes they have are wood snakes as people will start screamming they see a snake when a piece of wood drifts by. The only thing we ran across was little fish who like to nibble on behinds hanging down from the inner tube on one of the trips.

I wouldn't worry about snakes just go and enjoy.

When we did the Cave tuibing i was so excited that it never even criossed my mind. Snakes or spiders. I can't stand either but didn't even think about it. I do not recal seeing either. Like another posted stated there is so much laghing and kicking about in the water I think all of the snames were scared off. I cannot say though. It was a great time. We booked with the carnival ship directly.

Of course there are snakes and spiders...it's their home! As a reptile fan, I would love to see these critters in their natural habitat but I suspect that due to the high number of humans around, they keep their distance. Most of the snakes there are harmless and are just looking for a frog or rat to snack on. Belize does have 2 snakes that can be deadly...the Fer-de-lance and the Coral Snake, but there are very few reports of encounters with these. There are scorpions, bats and tarantulas too...but they are extremely shy and will do everything to avoid human contact...can you blame them,lol. Did I mention crocodiles and jaguars? Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!

Thanks a LOT loungelizard, now you have me paranoid. Sheesh.

Kidding!

I HATE spiders as well karadsheh! I'm terrified of them. I always make my boyfriend kill them because I can't stand to be in the same room! I'm a big baby.

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate it so much!

Let's think about this for a second. You're hiking through a jungle for 20-30 minutes. Of course there's going to be spiders and snakes (cue the old Jim Stafford song here)! :rolleyes:

What about spiders? I am terrified of spiders and was wondering if you encountered any while cave tubing either in the water or on the hike there.

I saw a HUGE spider on my cave tubing excursion on March the 6th. It was the size of a tarantuala but skinnier.

Pretty cool.

I am sure that if snakes and spiders were any danger the cruise lines OR the private vendors willnot be taking the public through the caves on tubes.

See, that's what I thought but my boyfriend's mom told me to post on here just to check with others since they've never done it and she's just heard stories. I just wanted to make sure!

no cruiselines will put passenger safety into jeopardy.

Just when you are making arrangements for tours= stay with the cruiseline or go with a well known vendor. (one that has lots of reviews etc.)

even the vendors stake their livelyhood on word of mouth.

I agree with serene56...tourism is their livelyhood there so they will do everything in their power to keep tourists safe. Belize is almost all jungle and the variety of wildlife found there is amazing. As long as you are careful where you step, don't go looking under rocks and fallen trees and sticking your hands in holes you should be just fine. If you do see a snake, don't panic or make any sudden moves...chances are it is harmless and it will soon be on it's way. No doubt the tour guides are very familiar with the wildlife so they will know how to handle that type of situation. If you are really afraid of spiders you may want to stick to the beach areas...plus it's always a good idea to shake out shoes and clothing before wearing them...I do that here in NH,LOL. I'm not trying to freak anyone out but you are in a tropical jungle and you need to be prepared to be safe. I am more concerned with mosquitos and sandfleas and will be bringing a good supply of bugspray.

Let's think about this for a second. You're hiking through a jungle for 20-30 minutes. Of course there's going to be spiders and snakes (cue the old Jim Stafford song here)! :rolleyes:

From http://www.belizefirst.com/vol3-2c.html:

"Of the 54 species of snakes in Belize, 28 are poisonous, but only 9 have venom strong enough to kill humans. The deadliest Belize serpent is the yellow-jawed tommygoff."

The yellow-jawed tommygoff is also known as the fer-de-lance.

According to http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/8867:

"What are the top 10 snakes that are responsible for killing the most people?

Coastal Taipan

Common krait

Phillipine cobra

King Cobra

Russell's viper

Black Mamba

Yellow jawed Tommygoff

Multinbanded krait

Tiger snake

Jararacussu"

The moral to the story: Watch where you step and sit down when walking through a jungle.

Roll Tide!

Archived