Evenings on Expedition Ships

fdpevey

Taking our first cruise on a Viking Expedition ship (Octantis) this summer through the Great Lakes. Anyone have experience with what sort of evening entertainment that type of ship offers - and what time?

We'll be booking dining times in the coming month, and it would be helpful to know as we consider what times to try to secure.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, fdpevey said:

Taking our first cruise on a Viking Expedition ship (Octantis) this summer through the Great Lakes. Anyone have experience with what sort of evening entertainment that type of ship offers - and what time?

We'll be booking dining times in the coming month, and it would be helpful to know as we consider what times to try to secure.

Thanks.

We did Georgian Bay last May on the Octantis. We regret not going down to the Hide in the evenings, from reports that sounded very enjoyable. We also regretted not signing up for multiple excursions during the day. As soon as something becomes available SIGN UP! We missed out on the lab by waiting until the next morning.
In May it was very buggy, so enjoying the terrace was not possible. 
We did enjoy the duo that played and sang most evenings in the Explorers Lounge!!!

There was live music in the living room at times, also. 
The buffet was so incredible we canceled our reservations to Manfredi’s. Especially if you like steak and lobster or sushi!
I slipped getting into the inside/outside pool, so we missed out on the kayaking. We were able to do everything thing else, including the sub!

Enjoy!!!

Explorers Lounge had a duo, keyboard and guitar as I recall.  Living Room had classical music, which is where we typically hung out in the evening eating nuts and wasabi peas. They had things in the Aula in the evenings, the entertainment director sang one night in there. We did not go to anything there but the daily port reviews., which were good. Outside in front of the Aula is a nice terrace. We sat out there one evening, I would suggesting doing that. 

We thought the best place to eat was the WC. The beef was amazing...do not miss. Seafood was in abundance and very good. Having a sushi bar was fun. The gelato bar was a hang out for a lot of us. Having a bakery popping out an array of fresh breads....so good. 

Octantis was our favorite Viking ship. We loved the size. 

If you are used to going to the Living Room in the morning for a latte, don't plan on it until at least 10 AM. We wish they would open that earlier. 

You will love it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iloveketo said:

We did Georgian Bay last May on the Octantis. We regret not going down to the Hide in the evenings, from reports that sounded very enjoyable. We also regretted not signing up for multiple excursions during the day. As soon as something becomes available SIGN UP! We missed out on the lab by waiting until the next morning.
In May it was very buggy, so enjoying the terrace was not possible. 
We did enjoy the duo that played and sang most evenings in the Explorers Lounge!!!

There was live music in the living room at times, also. 
The buffet was so incredible we canceled our reservations to Manfredi’s. Especially if you like steak and lobster or sushi!
I slipped getting into the inside/outside pool, so we missed out on the kayaking. We were able to do everything thing else, including the sub!

Enjoy!!!

Do you remember what time in the evening they had the events in the Hide? we're trying to figure out what time to reserve for dinner.

10 minutes ago, fdpevey said:

Do you remember what time in the evening they had the events in the Hide? we're trying to figure out what time to reserve for dinner.

I don’t remember, but if I had to guess I would say 9:00. Hopefully, someone will give you accurate info.