I feel cheated by cruising opportunities in Australia

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a lot of interesting cruise ports you’d like to visit again.  Can you tell me more about Mantra as I’m not familiar with Mantra?.  I adore the Cook Islands, the nicest friendly people.  It is always the strangers I

meet which take places to the next level. Like the people in Newfoundland.  A lady picked me and took me for a tour - warm hospitality, rich culture and natural beauty it has it all!

Because we were talking about QM2 which is known for its ballroom dancing@

Sorry there was a typo I accidently added an r, the port is Manta Ecuador.

We did a private organised tour that included a visit to the local Fish Market, which also includes a traditional boat building and repair area on the beach.

Then off for a forest walk, which turned out to be an adventure we never imagined we would ever do.

Then off to a lunch on another beach area, that was an adventure in its self.

Then finally off to the town of Montecristo, the home of the Panama Hat for us to buy one each.

Then back to the ship.
It was a great day one that we will long remember fondly, although at the time it got very exciting.

Too long a story for here, but if you wish you can read about it on my cruise blog for the WC2018 "Winterlesses2".
https://winterlesses2.blogspot.com/2018/05/winterlesses2.html

Unfortunately I'm not good with blog paging so its one long blog, so you will need to scroll down almost all the way to get to Manta.

I write the blogs for fun, their not travel logs.

As for the dancing, I to like MicCanberra enjoy watching, on one cruise was a Japanese couple who were amazing, they just seemed to glide around the floor, we loved watching them.

We too loved the islands both the Pacific and the Caribbean.

The people are amazingly friendly.

From the 23/24 season onward Princess is allowing 4 sea days between Auckland and Melbourne.  On our last cruise in March the captain announced that some people were complaining that we have to leave Auckland around 2.30pm and couldn't understand that to get to Melb they have to go flat out at top speed to make it in 3 days.  If something goes awry (think bad weather/medivac/rescue idiots who abandon boat in middle of night in Bass Strait) it causes chaos with boarding times for the next cruise. 

In fact last December the Grand came in so late due to bad weather in the Tasman and also in Melb they were unable to refuel her (lost her slot).  We boarded late and had to spend 36hrs anchored in Port Philip bay (QE wanted the berth following day so we had to leave) until it could be arranged for refueling to be done in the bay the following day.  Started refueling around 4.00pm the following day and finally left at 2.00am next day.  Needless to say we missed PI.

Here in Melbourne we are used to having lots of sea days whether we go to the islands or NZ.  Quite like them, don't have to get up early.  Kind of lazy days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ondine said:

From the 23/24 season onward Princess is allowing 4 sea days between Auckland and Melbourne.  On our last cruise in March the captain announced that some people were complaining that we have to leave Auckland around 2.30pm and couldn't understand that to get to Melb they have to go flat out at top speed to make it in 3 days.  If something goes awry (think bad weather/medivac/rescue idiots who abandon boat in middle of night in Bass Strait) it causes chaos with boarding times for the next cruise. 

In fact last December the Grand came in so late due to bad weather in the Tasman and also in Melb they were unable to refuel her (lost her slot).  We boarded late and had to spend 36hrs anchored in Port Philip bay (QE wanted the berth following day so we had to leave) until it could be arranged for refueling to be done in the bay the following day.  Started refueling around 4.00pm the following day and finally left at 2.00am next day.  Needless to say we missed PI.

Here in Melbourne we are used to having lots of sea days whether we go to the islands or NZ.  Quite like them, don't have to get up early.  Kind of lazy days.

From memory when I did a Melb - Auckland trip on Golden Princess (so some time ago) it was 4 straight sea days, no ports.

there was a cruise, not sure who with or perhaps several offer this option - Melbourne to Tasmania, one sea day on route, then to NZ, 2 sea days on route then go round New Zealand finishing in Auckland.

You then have the option of days at sea to return to Melbourne or fly home from Auckland - obviously an option for those who dont want more sea days (and presumably bit cheaper.)

Was looking at that  a while ago then got put on the back burner, cant remember which company it was with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

there was a cruise, not sure who with or perhaps several offer this option - Melbourne to Tasmania, one sea day on route, then to NZ, 2 sea days on route then go round New Zealand finishing in Auckland.

You then have the option of days at sea to return to Melbourne or fly home from Auckland - obviously an option for those who dont want more sea days (and presumably bit cheaper.)

Was looking at that  a while ago then got put on the back burner, cant remember which company it was with.

I think the cruise your referring to could be the Diamond Sydney To Auckland doing Syd-Melb-Hobart then NZ, it then does the return trip, same itinerary in reverse.

I did a cruise like this in March with HAL on Noordam. It started in Sydney, went to Melbourne, with one sea day, then Tasmania, then two sea days to NZ, plus a third one which one was most of a day cruising through the fjords and past Stewart Island - incredible scenery. Once around the bottom of NZ, it called at six other ports and ended at Auckland. In that part, there were two sea days, but one was was cruising around the Bay of Plenty and Coromandel peninsula, so lots of good scenery, including the amazing (and dangerous) White Island. Coming from Melbourne, I had to fly to Sydney to start, but I loved the departure at sunset down Sydney Harbour. I also liked liked that it ended at Auckland, because you could the fly home easily - much better than several sea days to end the cruise.

The cruise also operated in the reverse direction - Auckland to Sydney.