Emergency contact land to ship help please

I was in a similar situation to you, and here is what I did:

I just got off a cruise in March and had the internet package (on a Holland ship). Sometimes my texts to family back home did not go out or arrive in a timely manner. My friend who was on the cruise with me decided to use WhatsApp and had zero problems with texting so I second the recommendation to use that app (even if you purchase the internet/ Wi-Fi package). 

I called my cell phone carrier and told them where I was traveling - told them each port we were docking - and they set up international calling on my phone for 30 days. It was around $50-60. She looked up each port and since each of them were in the same zone #, I only had to pay one charge.  Had the different ports/islands/countries  been in different zones, I would have had to pay for each zone.  I don’t know how your carrier will charge but it would be nice if they did the same for you as they did for me. I use Patriot Mobile. Now, when you get into port, you have to hope you have a signal.  At one port, I never had a signal and could not make a call. My friend who had a different cell phone carrier was  getting a signal so I borrowed her phone. 

hope that helps! Have a good time!

• Thanks 1