Silver Endeavour Business Class Air upgrades.

ReddyCruiser

I have noticed that the business class air upgrades from Australia for Silver Endeavour U.K./ Northern European cruises in 2024 are significantly more expensive than the upgrade prices for other Silversea ships in the same general areas at the same time. For flying into London and out of Edinburgh, that is around $4000/person more, roundtrip, than the other ships for a similar itinerary.

Has anyone else noticed these premium costs being applied?

I have just paid two arms and two legs for self booked air fares from UK to Perth and return from Auckland to UK.   Airfares are never going to get cheaper.   The only alternative is to travel in economy (or even premium economy where available) but on these long flights it really isnt for me I would prefer not to travel!!

I apologise for my post being a little misleading. The point I was making is that the roundtrip Business upgrade for the Silver dawn, Silver Wind, Silver Spirit and Silver Ray [all cruising in the same UK/ Northern European region at the same time in 2024 involving flights into and/or out of London] is approx.$A6,000 while the Business upgrade for the Silver Endeavour around UK  is approx. $10,000. 

Interesting that there is a  $4,000 surcharge for Silver Endeavour.

On 4/18/2023 at 9:36 PM, ReddyCruiser said:

I have noticed that the business class air upgrades from Australia for Silver Endeavour U.K./ Northern European cruises in 2024 are significantly more expensive than the upgrade prices for other Silversea ships in the same general areas at the same time. For flying into London and out of Edinburgh, that is around $4000/person more, roundtrip, than the other ships for a similar itinerary.

16 minutes ago, ReddyCruiser said:

I apologise for my post being a little misleading. The point I was making is that the roundtrip Business upgrade for the Silver dawn, Silver Wind, Silver Spirit and Silver Ray [all cruising in the same UK/ Northern European region at the same time in 2024 involving flights into and/or out of London] is approx.$A6,000 while the Business upgrade for the Silver Endeavour around UK  is approx. $10,000.

So....which is it?

Just because the airports are in the same country doesn't mean that pricing is the same.  There is significantly less lift in/out of EDI compared to LHR, with a corresponding effect on pricing.

So, what is it when we are talking apples to apples, rather than apples to oranges?

Seems to me if people dont like the cost of BC upgrade then they should take the air credit and buy their own flights.   We are taking air credit for flights down under next winter which come in at £1,500 per person and we have booked our own BC flights which come in at circa £11,000 so thats £4,000extra per person over the [economy] air credit from Silversea which is broadly similar to what they were offering when the trip was booked (I think at that time it was £1999 per person per flight).   For me on this occasion the big difference is that I wanted to do open jaw flights and I wanted control over the routing and the airlines and this is what I have got.   If you go for the Silversea upgrade option you may (and I only say may) be booked on airlines you dont like, on routes you dont like and at times you dont like.  On many routes Silversea offer flights below what you can personally buy but to do this they must make savings somewhere so the result it quite often discontent and inconvenience for the passenger.   

It is worth comparing the BC fares you can book yourself with the deal offered by SS. One a trip to Alaska the premium to upgrade was twice the cost of the tickets I could buy myself. Why the great difference I don't know but there it was. And I prefer having some control over the flights and days and airlines. 

I have noticed the same thing.

I was looking at Silver Endeavour from London to Reykjavik May 04 next year. The Business upgrade for this cruise is $A9598 roundtrip - into London and ex Reykjavik.[From Melbourne]

If I wait until May 31 and cruise London to Reykjavik on Silver Wind instead of the Endeavour the Business upgrade is only $A6198 for the same sectors.

If I am happy to cruise on Silver Spirit from London to Reykjavik on June 22 the Business upgrade will be $A5998 - again same sectors.

I have asked my travel agent if they can explain the differences but they are at a loss. They said fares are seasonal but as it is the same season they could not explain it.

Decisions, decisions. 

I may just end up doing my own flights.