ACH payment for Excursions

Camden lady

6 hours ago, Selion said:

Insurance aside, I only use credit card because my credit card points are worth more than the 3.3% in savings.

Let's say the Viking booking is $10,000.  3.3% e-check discount is $330.

Same $10,000 will net me 30,000 rewards points.  If I use those points at the lowest redemption value of 1.25 cents per point for statement credit, 30,000 points will give me $375.  I'm ahead of the e-check savings by $45.  The card's advantage only grows as the booking value increases.

Completely valid in your circumstance, but we always need to continue to pay attention to the points award and redemption value on the card. My particular card (an airline points card) saw the value of redemption points drop for a high of 4.4 cents to 2 cents over time - it was a "point per dollar spent" card, so that means the value started well above the ACH bennie, but then dropped below it.

Lots of volatility in the redemption game today - caveat emptor! 🍺🥌

On 5/3/2023 at 8:44 PM, CurlerRob said:

The author makes a valid point that there may be protections available via credit card payments that are not available if paid by electronic debit (not always - reference Crystal).

But he also says “If you are going on a cruise or an expensive tour, buy trip insurance that covers supplier default”. This is also good advice.

But if you have trip insurance that covers supplier default, then there's no reason not to take the electronic debit fare reduction. Why pay for the default protection twice - credit card price as well as trip insurance? 🍺🥌

That is what I was thinking....we always get trip insurance, so is there any benefit to using a CC. 

3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

That is what I was thinking....we always get trip insurance, so is there any benefit to using a CC. 

As long as your insurance covers default by the provider, up to the amount you paid, then I can't see any need to pay by CC for the purpose of being able to dispute a charge - in my view, best to take the ACH discount in that case. 

Also subject to your comfort level with someone having debit access to your bank account - the CC does offer a layer of insulation from that as well. 🍺🥌

16 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Completely valid in your circumstance, but we always need to continue to pay attention to the points award and redemption value on the card. My particular card (an airline points card) saw the value of redemption points drop for a high of 4.4 cents to 2 cents over time - it was a "point per dollar spent" card, so that means the value started well above the ACH bennie, but then dropped below it.

Lots of volatility in the redemption game today - caveat emptor! 🍺🥌

Devaluation cloud hangs over all rewards cards...  The rewards war isn't showing signs of slowing down.  Need to take advantage of it for as long as we can!

• Like 2