RT cruise from Dover - VAT question

We are doing the Baltic Carnival Pride cruise in June from/to Dover.  It's been quite a while since I've been to Europe (pre-EU), and the VAT situation has changed.  Anyone know how we will get VAT forms stamped for any EU purchases when we are sailing in and out of the UK and flying in and out of LHR?  I don't plan to purchase anything expensive, but one of my kids mentioned that he might.

In principle, you will need to get the refund documentation prepared by a participating retailer and stamped at your last port of call in the EU as you leave. The fact that you are flying out of the U.K. is irrelevant since the U.K. left the EU.

With VAT at 20% in the UK and 25% in Denmark, it may well be worthwhile claiming it back on an expensive item. It is usually up to the seller to process the paperwork and not all of them will do it. Those that do, usually advertise the service prominently.

One common procedure is to ask the seller to ship the item directly to your home. This avoids problems with customs in countries you are just passing through. 

4 hours ago, Bob++ said:

One common procedure is to ask the seller to ship the item directly to your home. This avoids problems with customs in countries you are just passing through. 

If the seller does this then in the UK the seller does not need to charge VAT.  So no different than if you'd order on the Internet.  This information came from a Scottish kiltmaker that frequently measured you up and took the order in Edinburgh, and then shipped the kilt once it had been made.  For an order over ~£120 it was cheaper to ship than pay the VAT, even for items that were ready to wear. 

Clearly, if you have any import duty/taxes to pay in your home country, then these (and any handling fee by the shipping agent) will usually have to be paid back-home before the delivery company will hand it over.  But, other than the fee (and subject to any exemptions), the same duty & taxes would be payable had you been carrying the item yourself.

I believe the EU is the same, but don't want to commit to that.

11 hours ago, Bob++ said:

It is usually up to the seller to process the paperwork and not all of them will do it

Well, yes, or they engage one of the well known agents (who take their own cut to do it). But it is still the buyer’s responsibility to get the forms endorsed by customs on departure to prove that they did take the good out of the relevant customs area. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Cotswold Eagle said:

Well, yes, or they engage one of the well known agents (who take their own cut to do it). But it is still the buyer’s responsibility to get the forms endorsed by customs on departure to prove that they did take the good out of the relevant customs area. 

Yep - that's the part I was questioning.  It's that "departure from EU" that is a bit tricky because of the fact we're on a cruise in and out of the UK.  I'll just tell my crew not to buy anything expensive!