Canada with a DUI

DontsaySemprini

So when I was young and stupid (1993) I was charged with a DUI in college. The state I live in does not allow DUI's to be expunged from your record.  Am I correct in understanding that if I book an Alaskan cruise that I will not be allowed to enter any Canadian ports? And in fact will not be allowed to cruise at all if the ship has stops in Canada? I've read that the appeal process through the Canadian government is lengthy and expensive.  Just wondering if anyone else had dealt with this issue. 

Maybe speak to an attorney if you are serious about going... when googling the question the items below were offered...

***If the person's conviction is equivalent to a federal offence under the Canadian Criminal Code, they will be inadmissible to Canada. A common conviction that creates issues of inadmissibility for travellers is a DUI.

***Access to CPIC will allow the border agent to see any DUI conviction on your record. Do not attempt to conceal a conviction because it could lead to you being banned from entering Canada for several years. 

***There is no limit to how long ago Canadian border officials can see USA criminal offenses, and we have worked with clients who were denied entry to Canada because of convictions from as far back as the 1960s and 1970s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here, this might be of some use...https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

It will take you 15 minutes or so to run through the tool but it will give you a much better idea of your potential to be admitted to Canada.

An old DUI with no associated crimes, clean record since...good chance you are admissible 🙂

As @Drazil65 points out, they have access to all your records so be honest with them. Lie to them and get caught out...don't plan on returning for a long time...