How long to reach the Lions Gate Bridge from Canada Place (by cruise ship)?

MileHighAko

Trying to plan some sail away activities, and looking for a more accurate estimate for how long it takes to go from leaving Canada Place until we go underneath the Lions Gate Bridge. I asked ChatGPT and discovered that it's about 4 miles by water, ships are limited to 10 knots or below going under the bridge, and it takes a cruise ship between 5-10 minutes to accelerate to 10 knots. All things considered, the AI guesses it's 26 minutes until the ship reaches the bridge. It's been a long time since I've sailed away from Vancouver and it seemed longer than that in my memory.

Just looked at my pics of the missus' sailaway with the inlaws in 2022.  The Koningsdam started sailaway a minute or so just after 4pm and was completely past Brockton Point by 4:22pm.  26 mins is probably a pretty good estimate.  

• Thanks 1

It also depends on other traffic in the harbour and (depending on the size of the ship you're on) tides, e.g. the biggest ships to visit Vancouver can only squeak under Lions Gate at low tide.

We have a view of Canada Place from our apartment, and in the summer we'll sometimes see ships pull away from the pier and out into the middle of the waterway and then just sit there for 20 minutes to an hour before heading towards the bridge.

• Like 1