RC Credit Card Redeem Points Not Covering Guest 3

sdlic

I want to share my story with redeeming my credit card points to hopefully save someone else from going through the same thing.

Back in November I called about redeeming our points from our Royal Caribbean credit card. We wanted to book a balcony room but the description for points stated "9 to 12 night Royal Caribbean Caribbean cruise, (minimum available oceanview stateroom); value of cruise vacation fare may not exceed three thousand six hundred dollars ($3,600 USD value)". The agent stated that if I booked a balcony instead of a oceanview they would apply the $3,600 value to our cruise.

Fast forward to last week we get our new invoice after our points are redeemed and it shows it only applied to guest 1 and guest 2 which is under the $3,600 value. Guest 3 did not get a discount. Within the terms and conditions, details or description it does not state that this only applies to only the first two guests. One agent I spoke with stated they don't specify guest 1&2 only since the cabins are double occupancy. Talked to multiple different agents with different reasons why but a firm stance they will discount guest 3. 

I'm bummed because the price of the cruise dropped and I didn't call to get it lowered since what was left to pay was under $3,600.  🫣

Edited by sdlic
Clarify Title
  • Like 1

• sdlic changed the title to RC Credit Card Redeem Points Not Covering Guest 3

I've found it's difficult to get the maximum value of these certificates and often end up leaving several hundred dollars on the table.  

That being said, the value you get is based on double occupancy, so it makes sense that the third passenger is not covered.  If I remember correctly, they also don't cover taxes and port fees.  (Someone can correct me if that's not the case.)

Frankly the card is my least favorite, and I only use it for RCI purchases and then only redeem it for the cruise discount as it is the best value.

• Like 1