Passenger Talent Show

Cruzon

We will be sailing on the Vision of the Seas in August. On all of our previous cruises, my husband has participated in the Passenger Talent Show. We bring "charts" for the musicians for two songs he would be comfortable singing (in case anyone else choses one of his favorites). This will be our first cruise on RCCL. I read a horror story of an emcee who demeaned and embarrasses every participant. Hopefully, this was an isolated case. Most (but not all) of our cruises have been on Carnival, and the hosts were always kind and complimentary to every participant, seriously encouraging the audience to support the performers, as well. However, Carnival limits the number of participants in the talent show. Sometimes, I imagine it comes down to the "luck of the draw" who gets to participate and who is eliminated. How are participants chosen for the Passenger Talent Show on RCCL ships? Singing in this show is the highlight of the cruise for my husband!

we were on the serenade this past december. they had KARAOKE IDOL. all week people (over 18) sang karaoke in the lounge before judges (there was actually 2 types of karaoke... the usual and then try outs). the judges picked the best 10 (i think) to perform on the last night as part of the fairwell show. i have to tell you one person was better than the next. it actually ended up being my favorite night of entertainment (besides charo who was amazing). the mix was men and women from 18 to about 50 and the winner sang "bohemian rhapsody".....awesome!

Carnival has a passenger talent show on longer cruises (more than 4 nights) in the main showroom. They limit the number of participants to about 6 or 8, and usually have some "fun" entertainment from the crew as part of the show. They don't allow comedy acts; I'm not sure about magic tricks, either. It's mostly singing, dancing, and instrument playing. There is also a Karaoke "Finals" Show in the lounge where they have Karaoke every night, and I think prizes of some sort are awarded. People who participate in that show are eliminated from the group signing up for the showroom show. If they have too many volunteers, they draw lots, you get the right number or you're not in. They want you to choose a song from a long list of music the band has access to (usually keyboard, guitar, bass, and drums). That's why we bring our own charts -- the key we want, the arrangement we're used to, etc. The Pssenger Talent Shows we've been to ( on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and Princess) have been very well attended, and the audiences enthusiastic. Everyone who participates gets a certificate and a plastic trophy. My husband is not in it for the "trophy" -- he has been in some form of entertainment most of his life, and really enjoys the interaction with the audience -- his performances are always well received because he's a born "showman."

I just got off Carnival Liberty. They had a talent show that featured singers, a couple that danced and even a woman who did baton twirling (not sure why she her batons with her on a cruise).This was in the main show lounge and was followed by a hysterical bit led by the CD.

Another night, also in the main show lounge, they featured the winners of the karaoke night contests-- for the contest, you had to sing a particular artist (like, one was Madonna... I can't remember the others at all). The winners who sang in the main event were also dressed up like the singers they were imitating (just warning you in case the dress-up part is not your husband's thing).

Don't know how all these people were selected, as I am not the performing type, but I'm sure it was listed each day in Carnival Capers.

Archived