Genoa Funiculars

adanaccruisers

• 3 weeks later...

I can only give you a partial answer... we hired a private guide to give us a tour of Genoa, S. Margareta, and Portofino using public transportation.    I loved all 3 stops including Genoa, which is an interesting city.   She (our guide) took us up on the Funicular and at the top was a residential area with a small park and the views over the city were quite nice.  I think without the guide telling us what we were looking at it would have been less interesting, however.

• 1 month later...

We were just in Genoa and I wanted to do the funiculars as well.  I downloaded a self guided walking tour so that we could see the city and was hoping to make it to the Zecca-Righi Funicular.  The tour thankfully had me go down Galleria Garibaldi and since I'm prone to getting lost we ended up in front of the station for the funicular.  It's free, so we hopped on and took it to the top.  The view is amazing but unless you want to go hiking to the forts (which are 1-4 miles away) there isn't anything to do up there.  The restaurant next to the station at the top was not open yet and there was no sign stating when it would open.  Also, this was July and it was very hot and the funiculars are not airconditioned.  They are built on an angle so someone with difficulty walking may have issues getting in and out due to the stairs and the angles.