Encore Panama Canal crossing MIA-LAX: Our thoughts/ feedback/ observations

@Sydneyberlin thank you for your detailed and objectively fair review. From your pre-cruise postings you both were clearly excited for your first Haven even though it sounded like a terribly long trip to get to Miami. 

We appreciate the honesty and will take it to heart when we board the Encore in Sept for an Alaskan cruise. We love the Haven / suite experience on each of the NCL ships we have been fortunate enough to travel on, but there are definitely hits and misses each time. You are very reasonable in your concerns - and I have to say, the lack of proper entertainment across NCL is really disappointing. We love all different types of shows / venues when on a cruise, but only 1 show for an extended trip would not meet any reasonable expectation. 

In regards to the homophobic comedian, it's unacceptable. Full stop. There is a huge difference in poking gentle fun at large groups of people / stereotypes  (why, hello...drinkers with walkers on a cruise? Shocking! 🤣) vs making you uncomfortable enough to actually leave a performance. I don't suspect from your postings that either of you are overly offended, and yes, comedians do push boundaries, but to have your audience leave because they felt attacked or unsafe is terrible. We cruise for fun but also to meet people, find out about their lives, their loves, their experiences. It's a big world full of different people and all should be welcomed warmly and openly (except Ohio State fans, of course...Geaux Tigers!). 

Thank you again, and I hope you had a safe trip back home!

Warmest, Amy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, amygutman said:

In regards to the homophobic comedian, it's unacceptable. Full stop. There is a huge difference in poking gentle fun at large groups of people / stereotypes  (why, hello...drinkers with walkers on a cruise? Shocking! 🤣) vs making you uncomfortable enough to actually leave a performance. I don't suspect from your postings that either of you are overly offended, and yes, comedians do push boundaries, but to have your audience leave because they felt attacked or unsafe is terrible

would you say the same thing is some "other"  demiened your ingroup in anyway? 

10 hours ago, amygutman said:

Thank you again, and I hope you had a safe trip back home!

Warmest, Amy

Thanks a lot Amy for your considerate and kind words! We’re safely back home in Australia and are living off the memories of our trip.

I like what you say about meeting other travelers and getting to share their stories and diverse backgrounds- it really made our trip. We’ve met a lot of really lovely people and enjoyed interacting with other guests of all walks of life. Especially in the intimate atmosphere of the Haven we found it was really easy to get into conversations with folks and getting “to know them” over the cause of the two weeks.

Regardless of all the flaws and valid reasons to expect better (especially with regards to the Entertainment), I am sure you will enjoy your Alaska trip in September and I will keenly read any feedback you might have afterwards!

• Like 1

Thank you for your thorough review! Add me to the list of September Alaskan cruisers - will be me and my bestie, sans spouses and children. First time on NCL for both of us. We’re nearing our window for restaurant reservations and this helps considerably. 

We are, in fact, booked in club balcony suite (or whatever it’s called) but we have no grandiose illusions. We just wanted the bigger bathroom. 😆

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BunnyHutt said:We are, in fact, booked in club balcony suite (or whatever it’s called) but we have no grandiose illusions. We just wanted the bigger bathroom. 😆

This is what we had originally booked before our upgrade came through and we had stayed in this category previously. Perfectly nice cabin and the little extra space in the bathroom makes a huge difference in our eyes. Ideal cabin type if the Haven is just a bit too much but you want to have as comfortable as possible a “normal cabin”.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, MSUjohn said:

would you say the same thing is some "other"  demiened your ingroup in anyway? 

Excellent point, but I think we could agree there is a big difference between making funny observations vs intentionally harmful statements. I work night shifts in an emergency department and am a retired firefighter...the only woman in a group of men. Trust me...I am not easily offended. I sense that the OPs are also not easily offended and very laid back - it must have been very troublesome commentary to have them leave the venue. 

It's rather like "yo momma" jokes...they are funny when they talk about ALL mommas but not YOUR momma (if that is a reasonable analogy). 

Point taken with appreciation.

Warmest, Amy