Cell Service - Pacific Coastal Trip

Robroy

We're on an upcoming Pacific Coastal cruise next week and I'm wondering how far off the coast we will normally be? Reason for the question is whether we will be close enough to shore to use U.S.A. cell towers (with the exception of the Ensenada port)  or if this will involve the normally expensive ship-to-shore service. I'm not a techie as you can no doubt tell. Appreciate any insights!

Thanks,

Rob

Some coastal cell towers can reach up to 40 miles, *BUT* your cellphone latches onto the nearest tower, which once at sea and they switch it on will be Regatta's own tower, leaving you paying Cellular At Sea's piratical rates.

"WiFi calling" might be an option if (1) your cellphone provider offers it, (2) your cellphone is equipped with the option and you enable it, (3) there's enough bandwidth from Regatta at the time, and (4) it's not

blocked as "streaming" (or you pay for the "WaveNet Prime" upgrade).

A caution: WiFi calling dials and rings just like normal, so if it gets de-selected by accident you're back to paying Cellular At Sea rates.

See you aboard!

Edited by Snaefell3
Removed (more) carriage returns, removed android and iPhone support links that didn't translate
  • Like 1

We did a Pacific Cruise last September onboard Regatta and stayed in touch with family back in Canada using WhatsApp. It can be used internationally so Ensenada shouldn't be a problem. You need to connect to O's Wi-Fi onboard and had no issues; keep your phone on Airplane Mode. One can place/receive calls or texts (with photos) providing the other party has WhatsApp; set up using your Canadian cell phone number. You could also use the application with free Wi-Fi onshore but we found time on board gave us plenty of opportunity to call/text.

Thank you both for the excellent advice! I'd forgotten about Whatsapp - which seems to be the logical choice to keep in touch. Appreciate the assistance - as usual this forum is a wealth of information from helpful people!

Cheers,

Rob

California based Cruiser here. 

Home port SFO I’ve done northbound and southbound a zillion times and cell phone service always hit the ship towers, 

many times it appeared to hit land but HAHAHA the cell phone bill said otherwise! 

41 minutes ago, latitude 22 said:

California based Cruiser here. 

Home port SFO I’ve done northbound and southbound a zillion times and cell phone service always hit the ship towers, 

many times it appeared to hit land but HAHAHA the cell phone bill said otherwise! 

Face it, once a ship slips her lines and she's allowed to switch on her tower, what's the closest tower for anyone aboard?

WhatApp (if those ashore have the app, too) or WiFi calling.  Both are, however, at the mercy of whether the ship has bought enough satellite bandwidth so you can stream audio.