Irons on Summit and Mercury

retiredbrit

We are on the Summit to Alaska 14 July and Mercury - Panama Canal 23 December.

Do either of them have Ironing / laundry rooms?. With the overnight hotels pre cruise and the flight from UK things could be very creased. On P&O there was a small laundry room on each deck.

I have a US voltage steamer from Magellan which is great for most of my stuff but Joyce prefers to iron her delicate evening wear and won’t trust them to anyone else.

Many thanks Alan - Berkhamsted UK

Hi Alan, not too far from me!

You've asked a question that usually develops into a heated (pun intended) debate on these boards, but none of the Celebrity ships have laundry rooms or irons/iron boards in staterooms and they ask you not to use them for fire safety reasons.

Here's a link to the details in the Celebrity website. I consider the prices pretty good and have always been pleased with the results:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000AYGUMMSC4MpdrOda1PotLYo:1051tg1dv?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=569&pagename=faq_answers

As far as the creased clothes from travelling, I have found the layering in tissue paper trick to be very successful. I arrived two days early into San Diego last year and it kept most of it in pretty good shape.

Phil

Hi Phil

As you say not too far apart - about 12 miles or so I think

Many thanks for your advice – I also use the tissue paper method which helps, and packing is easier since I modified my two new Antler trolley suitcases to provide a flat base inside (trolley cases have two tubes for the handles running the length of the case inside)

Having an ironing room is an advantage to Joyce – but I will use my steamer (which is dual voltage and a lower rating than a kettle at 200 / 280 watts) to remove creases.I have only used it a couple of times but it really is excellent.

I found your review of Mercury interesting, we are on Mercury this Christmas and New Year - Fort Lauderdale to San Diego and then we are spending 8 nights post cruise in San Diego.

This was to have been our first Celebrity cruise but 3 days ago we booked an Alaska northbound Cruise Tour from Vancouver sailing on 14 July.

Our last cruise was earlier this year to the Caribbean on P&O Oceana. We found some aspects of the ship a little disappointing as it seemed they were cutting corners here and there. A point commented on by committed P&O’ers we met on board

Regards Alan

Archived