Transfers in Venice and Chioggia

Cuculla

My husband and I are flying tomorrow from N Ireland to Venice prior to starting a 1 week cruise from Venice to Rome, with extensions at both ends. The hotel in Venice is now the Marriott Resort, south in the lagoon some distance from the city. We are elderly and my husband is recovering from a leg injury. He is travelling with wheel chair assistance, although he can walk, climb stairs etc. I am interested in feedback from anyone who has undertaken the Viking transfer journeys from the airport to the Marriott and from the Marriott to the ship in Chioggia. Rain is forecast for the next few days! Thank you fellow travellers.

Cuculla

We were there on the Viking extension last month. The trip to the hotel and to the ship should be no problem. Viking has chartered boats that can accommodate a wheelchair. The hotel has a ramp to the dock and is otherwise a modern facility. Viking runs shuttles from the hotel to Venice but on a limited basis. The hotel shuttle is more frequent but it’s not as wheelchair friendly (neither is Venice). You should be fine in the St Marks area as there are ramps across some bridges.

My writeup and pictures of Venice and the hotel are here:
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/?do=findComment&comment=65120808

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Thank you so much for all this information. I was bothered in case we had to travel to Roma terminal and then on by boat thereafter. The boat also seems to provide some shelter which we may need if the forecast is to be believed. 
We will be able to use the hotel shuttle as the wheelchair assistance is for the airport only although the embarkation procedure at Chioggia sounds daunting! 

I first visited Venice age 16 when cruising with my parents on The Canberra. Since then my husband and I have twice rented apartments in Venice for a week at a time. What seems easy at 16 and even 60 becomes more challenging in ones late 70s and 80s! 

Your wonderful photos have fired our enthusiasm and we are ready to go.

Thanks

• Like 1