Staying overnight off ship in Israel

barryg9999

We are taking the NCL Jade cruise this August, which stops in Ashdod and Haifa. We’ve hired a private tour guide who suggested that we stay overnight in Jerusalem instead of spending hours getting back to the ship, only to return the following morning.

Has anyone done this? We’re trying to confirm if NCL allows this sort of thing/ I would think that it does as NCL offers their own two-day tour that does the same (Israel Grand Overland tour). 

Edited by barryg9999
Typo

My experience isn't NCL - you do need to check with them because I see comments about NCL being the only cruise line un-co-operative about things like disembarking at a penultimate port (Le Havre in order to spend a few days in Paris, instead of Southampton next morning).

We overnited in Jerusalem during an overnight Ashdod port stop. No problems, didn't need to ask or even notify RCI, no extra visa required, and it added to our experience.

But because Israeli stops are frequently cancelled at very short notice (particularly Ashdod) due to unrest, I'd strongly advise against doing so if your ship is sailing Haifa to Ashdod while you're overniting ashore.

If you do so, you should ensure that ship's security (& your cabin steward) are aware that you won't be back before the ship sails, check that the ship is still in the same port before you head back, and pray that it hasn't sailed away from Israel !!!!

NCL offering their own overnite tour gives more confidence that it'd work out - but perhaps less confidence that NCL would give you permission.

JB 🙂

• Like 1