Are excursions discounted once you're on board?

FSULB

Sorry if this is a common question. I tried a search or two, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

We've decided on our excursions and for 2 of the ports we're sticking with Princess. Prices were comparable or better than the local and I'd rather have the guarantee/ability to cancel if some mishap occurs. So here's what I'm wondering...are excursions discounted after you set sail? Sure, there's a risk of availability, but if a particular tour has room when the pre-booking closes, there's a decent chance to get on it at the last minute. If they are discounted, is it worth the risk, or just a small (10%) markdown?

TIA!

ETA- 10% can sometimes be a good markdown, but we aren't booking a $400 excursion :)

We didn't book our excursions until we were on board. But that is because we booked this cruise just three weeks before sailing and had not yet decided what we wanted to do at the port stops. Many of the excursions filled up quickly, but fortunately not the ones we wanted. But the costs were not discounted from what had been advertised prior to sailing.

No, they are not discounted while onboard. The published price is the cost of the tour. If you know which ones you want, I strongly advise you to pre-reserve them online because they do fill up fast and there's the possibility that the tours you want could be sold out by the time you board. When you pre-reserve a tour, you don't pay until you're actually onboard -- they're charged to your onboard account when you check in. You have the option to turn in the tickets and get a full refund.

We were just on the Sea princess in February and in the Patter on the night before each port there were discounted excursions for the ones that didn't sell out. I didn't really check out which ones as we had ours all arranged but there were some discounted ones.

Interesting about the Sea Princess. We sailed in November for two weeks and never had them advertise any discount excursions. In fact, there were two excursions that we had booked beforehand that we found they cancelled the night before as they did not hit the quota for that excursion. If they would have discounted them, they probably could have sold them as they were quite expensive.:confused: :confused:

Prices were comparable or better than the local and I'd rather have the guarantee/ability to cancel if some mishap occurs.

In all the cruises I've ever taken I have never seen any local excursions that were the same as the cruiselines priced more.:confused:

Bill

We were just on the Sea princess in February and in the Patter on the night before each port there were discounted excursions for the ones that didn't sell out. I didn't really check out which ones as we had ours all arranged but there were some discounted ones.
That's very surprising. I would have marched down to the Excursion Desk and cancelled my excursion and rebooked at the discount price or asked for a refund of the difference.

In all the cruises I've ever taken I have never seen any local excursions that were the same as the cruiselines priced more.:confused:

Bill

In Juneau, the Bike and Brew tour is $89 whether through the local company or Princess. A new owner just took over and I guess he thinks he should make money either way- last year it was $65 direct through the company. We are going to get our Mt. Roberts tram tickets at port if we decide to do that and have enough time.

In Ketchikan, the Back county Jet Boat is not available through the company unless you are staying at the resort (Salmon Falls).

Our third port we reserved through the company. In Skagway we are doing the Chilkoot Charters bus/rail Yukon tour. It has better stops than the one offered by Princess and does cost $16 less per person.

Never say never- I guess it just depends on the particular activity!

Archived