Basic HAL questions - laundry, supplies

netingirl

Hi all,

I've never cruised HAL before and have a few simple questions to help me with my packing. We are going Transatlantic on the Noordam in April and I have to pack super light for those discount flight weight restrictions on the other end!

Does HAL supply shampoo and hand lotion?

Are there self serve laundry facilities on the boats? (I saw a yes somewhere to this, but can't find it again)

Thanks in advance! (My husband will thank you too when he doesn't have to pay extra for my over weight luggage!)

There are self service laundry rooms on the Veendam. I think it depends on the ship. I know of at least 2 on the Veendam, there may be more. Each one had 2 or 3 washers and dryers and an iron/ironing board. I believe it was $2 to wash a load (incl soap). I don't remember the dryer prices.

I used the iron once to touch up my dress. Didn't do my own laundry. We sent out our laundry and dry cleaning on 3 days. We had booked a suite and figured I should make use of the "free" services! Saved myself some work when I got home.

There were 4 small bottles in our bathroom: shampoo, hair conditioner, body lotion, and ??? I can't remember what was in the 4th one (maybe mouth wash - whatever it was, I didn't use it)! We were also given hand soap (did request extra since we had a 2nd sink in the dressing room) and a shower cap. We used most of the body lotion and they gave us a 2nd bottle w/o asking.

Hi all,

I've never cruised HAL before and have a few simple questions to help me with my packing. We are going Transatlantic on the Noordam in April and I have to pack super light for those discount flight weight restrictions on the other end!

Does HAL supply shampoo and hand lotion?

Yes good stuff too.

Are there self serve laundry facilities on the boats? (I saw a yes somewhere to this, but can't find it again)
The Noordam is a Vista Class ship and they do not have self serve laundry facilities. However the laundry service is very affordable. Those bags can take alot of stuffing. Also I have to say that after I used the laundry service my clothes looked better than they have in years. I had no idea that shorts when pressed look so nice! ;)

Thanks in advance! (My husband will thank you too when he doesn't have to pay extra for my over weight luggage!)

You will pay either way...but when you use the laundry service you will be getting something for your money instead of NOTHING for your money.

Have a great cruise.

netingirl: I don't know what kind of hair you have, but if you value it at all you will bring your favorite shampoo and conditioner with you. I have longish, thick hair and find their "conditioning shampoo" doesn't do the trick. Their lotion is quite nice. On some ships the dryers in the laundry are free, on others there is a charge, usually a dollar.

netingirl: I don't know what kind of hair you have, but if you value it at all you will bring your favorite shampoo and conditioner with you. I have longish, thick hair and find their "conditioning shampoo" doesn't do the trick. Their lotion is quite nice. On some ships the dryers in the laundry are free, on others there is a charge, usually a dollar.

Not to be contrary but...

She is traveling on the Noordam. There is no self service on this ship. So no free laundry and no dollar charge.

I also have thick hair and the shampoo worked fine. If it doesn't work she will know in the first two days and can pick up something in Bermuda. I think that considering she is concerned about packing, it might be better for her to pick up something only IF she needs it.

Yes the Noordam and all VISTA Class SHips do not have Self Service laundries. Well maybe if all the Marieners and friends asked them to get them they would appear... but not now...

I as well wish they would have this Basic Service method available..

The Charge of TWELVE Dollars $12.00 USD for a little bag and getting the clothes back neatly is great.. but sometimes even on vacation people like to do it themselves...and/or have the method of doing it..especially on longer than the industry standard cruise days....

Maybe on the VISTA Class Ships like the Large New Noordam (IV) Carnival Corp. CCL:NYSE and its child Holland American Line may do this now to give another perk service level to Suite Clients. Since they pay a lot more for there rooms they do and deserve alot more.. Having FrEE Laundry and Dry Cleaning may be a nice valuable service for them so as they pay more to voyage on this ship...:D

It is a choice that even paying for a basic need is wanted too...:mad:

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I wouldn't be so concerned about laundry, except that it is a 16 day crossing! Oh well, I'll do my best to pack as if there was a launderette and just pay the piper for the laundry service as required.

As for the shampoo etc, I'm not too particular so whatever they are providing will be great. That's one thing off the list anyway! Should save about 6oz out of my suitcase! :p

Thanks again!

Yes the Noordam and all VISTA Class SHips do not have Self Service laundries. Well maybe if all the Marieners and friends asked them to get them they would appear... but not now...

Wishful thinking, when the Zuiderdam first came out many people complained about the lack of self service laundry, and have been complaining ever since. The problem is that the a laundry takes the place of about 4 cabins and multiply that by say 4 laundries and HAL has lost 16 cabins. Thats alot of chicken feed!! The offical word is that the vista class ships were designed for 7 day cruising. For the most part this is true except when they have to reposistion from the Caribbean to Alaska or Europe.

Suite pax DO receive the PERK of free laundry, pressing and dry cleaning on all classes of ships on HAL, this would of course include the new Noordam.......jean:cool:

Now Jean, you know it isn't "free" - just pre-paid as part of the extra costs of a suite. :)

You had an astute observation. But the New Noordam (1V) a VISTA Class Ship so far is not showing any 7 day cruises.. Ours on March 25t, 2006 AD is an 11 day .

You have seen they are 10 and 11 day voyages... not 7.

So again I have to reiterate if more people speak with Carnival and Holland American Line then they will know more and more Paying Passengers want this available...:D The vacancy rate even now on the Noordam is way above the norm.. They have to notice this in Washington State and Florida...

Having Washer Closets like there and other lines have is a normalcy and interior space is easy to convert.. I have been in the washer rooms and they take up less than One room of space so lets say 4 rooms ..thats worth it to give paying passengers more services...(in my humble opinion):eek:

Wishful thinking, when the Zuiderdam first came out many people complained about the lack of self service laundry, and have been complaining ever since. The problem is that the a laundry takes the place of about 4 cabins and multiply that by say 4 laundries and HAL has lost 16 cabins. Thats alot of chicken feed!! The offical word is that the vista class ships were designed for 7 day cruising. For the most part this is true except when they have to reposistion from the Caribbean to Alaska or Europe.

You had an astute observation. But the New Noordam (1V) a VISTA Class Ship so far is not showing any 7 day cruises.. Ours on March 25t, 2006 AD is an 11 day .

You have seen they are 10 and 11 day voyages... not 7.

So again I have to reiterate if more people speak with Carnival and Holland American Line then they will know more and more Paying Passengers want this available...:D The vacancy rate even now on the Noordam is way above the norm.. They have to notice this in Washington State and Florida...

Having Washer Closets like there and other lines have is a normalcy and interior space is easy to convert.. I have been in the washer rooms and they take up less than One room of space so lets say 4 rooms ..thats worth it to give paying passengers more services...(in my humble opinion):eek:

There was already a petition sent to Hal from this board. Obviously it did no good.

The bottom line is PROFIT. Hal can make more $$$ charging for laundry. :)

I'm wondering...if we all ask for our own grills at the Outback, do you think they will give it to us? ;)

Try a fondue place instead. You will get your own fondue pot. :D

How big are those laundry bags on the Vista class ships? Are they as big as a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag? Are they at least larger than a plastic grocery store bag?

I'll be on the Oosterdam in 3 weeks and I'm still trying to decide how much to pack.

The laundry bags are bigger than a plastic shopping bag, but smaller than a trash bag -- maybe 10 x 15, give or take an inch or two. If you roll your items, you can squeeze quite a lot in that bag. We just returned from the Zaandam and I used the bag service once; we were traveling for 3 days before embarkation, so we didn't even try to pack enough for the entire trip. (And no matter how much I pack, I always want to wear a few things over and over -- if only I could figure out in advance which ones would be the favorites!)

I had 12-15 t-shirts, two pants, and socks, etc. stuffed in that bag! It was worth the $20.

The other option for our 10 day cruise was $70 for unlimited laundry.

The toiletries provided are the new ones from Elemis - they smell nice and the bath gel makes a sweet bubblebath! :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Who wants to do laundry while on vacation? Why iron a bunch of shirts at home to have them wrinked when you pull them out of the suitcase? The unlimited laundry package is a great deal when you purchase it for the two people in your stateroom - and everything comes back neatly pressed and hung on hangers or perfectly folded...

...I'm still wearing shirts that I had cleaned and pressed when I was on Noordam.

bepsf - you say the unlimited laundry is reasonable when purchased for the 2 people in the stateroom. So the charge would then be $70 ? per room not per passenger?

Thanks

Barb

bepsf - you say the unlimited laundry is reasonable when purchased for the 2 people in the stateroom. So the charge would then be $70 ? per room not per passenger?

Thanks

Barb

That's how it worked out for us

;)

Thanks

Barb

Depends on the length of the cruise and maybe even the ship. I know that the "unlimited" laundry on our 7 day on the Zuiderdam was $45. I say "unlimited" because it did say there was a 99 piece limit. I'm not sure if one could actually REACH that in 7 days. But it was there. We crammed every dirty sock, undergarment and shirt we had worn on the trip into that little bag....and I'm sure with the right amount of cramming we could have done a few more items. Seriously the bag is the BEST way to go for a shorter cruise. OR for someone who isn't getting dresses and jackets pressed every night.

Archived