Best Deals for traveling with small kids

JMHappy

I am planning a cruise with my entire family which includes three small grandchildren under 3. Which cruiseline has the best deals for traveling with small children. It doesn't seem feasible to pay $800 (I was quoted by RCCL) for a 2 year old!

I will be getting 3 or 4 cabins. I've heard of lines offering discounted fares on 3rd and 4th persons in cabin but is there an easy way to find them? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeanne

I have friends that do lots of family cruises with small children. Their favorites are both Disney and Costa. I was told that Costa (owned by Carnival) offers lower rates for infants and toddlers. I'm not sure, but will check and get back to you ASAP.

Dave:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought that I would mention that Carnival is one of the few--if not the only, line that has kid programs for children under three. Camp Carnival activities are available for children as young as two---and they have sitting service in the evening that would take even younger ones. From what I have read, all the "camp" staff have to have degrees in early childhood specialties or equivalent work experiences.....so you wouldn't just be handing your precious grandchildren over to a bunch of bored teens.

Hope that helps a bit.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

I just thought that I would mention that Carnival is one of the few--if not the only, line that has kid programs for children under three. Camp Carnival activities are available for children as young as two---and they have sitting service in the evening that would take even younger ones. From what I have read, all the "camp" staff have to have degrees in early childhood specialties or equivalent work experiences.....so you wouldn't just be handing your precious grandchildren over to a bunch of bored teens.

for this reason alone-- Carnival is a better choice for the grandbabies. (they MUSt be two on the date of sailing- any younger even by 1 week they wont be allowed in the camps.) Royal wants kids to be 3 and potty trained.

• 3 weeks later...

I can only speak for carnival...as that is all we've been on..but our kids are spaced apart. Our first family cruise they were 3-5-12 and they had a blast. I was worried that we should have picked a Disney cruise but every cruise since the first one they only wanted carnival. The kids program is very structured and even my little one would wake at 8 and ask when he could go to camp...oh lucky me!!

Disney takes kid of all ages, including babies in their programs, BUT a Disney cruise is much more expensive than Carnival, RCI, NCL or most others that you would take a family on. We did a Disney cruise, and the ship was nice, but completely overrun with kids (as expected). I would suggest another line if the cruise is for anyone else than just the kids. Most cruise lines have activities programs for kids, but it would depend if your grandkids want to go to programs. We (my sisters and I with our parents) began cruising at a young age, and just spent time doing activites with our parents. We went on a cruise to do things together and that's what we did. I'm not saying that anyone who puts their kids in the kids programs is wrong, it's just how we liked to cruise. So, I guess it would depend on whether or not you are looking for kids programming or not. Most cruise lines have cabins for 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin at heavily discounted prices (many times $98.00 or so). I would go to a good cruise travel agent and have them check this out for you.

Mrsfuzzmo

Try Costa, they have alot of sailings that the kids sail for FREE!!!! I know bc that is how we got on this line for the first time, only bc the kids were free! Also, RCCL was offering sailings as low as $150 for 3rd and 4th!!

So hurry and check it out!

Archived