Majestic Princess / June 17 2023 / Semi-Live Trip Report w/ Pre-Cruise AK Adventure … Let’s Go!

Fishbone

@Fishbone....as a Floridian who visited Anchorage for the first time in 2009 and again in 2014.  I wore my hat and gloves everyday!  On the ship it was even colder!

Anchorage is beautiful.....if you get a chance a great family activity is to bike ride on the Tony Knowles trail, this is where we had our first encounter with a Moose!

Also great place for food is F Street Station!

• Like 2

@Fishbone

Love your nail polish - is that a big green pine(?) tree?  lol

I did a CC review on our 2018 Coral Princess trip but first did land for 6 days on our own.  It's a fun thing to do and memory to have.

OMG, at Walmart, I hope you picked up warmer clothing other than waders 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

BTW: Lakefront Anchorage Hotel has a nice outdoor place for lunch to watch the sea planes land and take off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hogladyrider Only a fellow Floridian would understand! 🧡 It’s quite cold & we did not anticipate the extreme cold, wind, or rain. It’s our understanding that we’re fixin’ to get hit by an unseasonably strong storm. Sigh. 

@Tyskie LOL! Thank you! I guess I didn’t do such a good job considering that it’s a lucky shamrock! ☘️ Sadly, they are already chipping! 

@cpcanuck LOL! He doesn’t even know that I’m posting a trip report & I hope he doesn’t find out ‘cause he would be mortified! 🤪

Greetings all! We had a very long day & I’m too tired to post. Our plans have changed due to an incoming storm, so I’m also a bit frazzled. Will catch up tomorrow morning! 

I’m glad we stopped to frolick in the dandelions ‘cause we’re about to get really wet. 

IMG_7339.thumb.jpeg.3b6d53b4136e73e86644a4c0301ca0e2.jpeg

IMG_7463.jpeg.83950cd7419203ba8e4e91b5645f4779.jpeg

• Like 3

@Fishbone.....being a Floridan I had the same weather worries on my first cruise in Alaska as you did.

We had a balcony, we cruised the Inside Passage and honestly we did not spend much time out on the balcony, just too cold for us.  When we were in Glacier Bay it was super cold, the closer we got the more we felt the cold.  I wore t-shirt under a sweater and a windbreaker and I was fine on deck with my hat and gloves.  Heck I even hit the hot tub on deck...they were VERY popular.

Enjoy your trip Alaska is stunning for sure and if it helps easy your weather woes Florida is wet wet wet as well.    As for me I am in central Utah where it is BEAUTIFUL!

• Like 2

Day 4 – Sat Jun 10 (43° at 10PM)

Greetings from Seward, Alaska! This morning in Anchorage, we were slightly delayed as I attempted to change some of our travel plans due to an incoming storm. I was able to reschedule our Kenai Fjords 6 hour National Park Tour & cancel one of the nights at our hotel. We’ll have to figure out the rest of it along the way. 

Seward Highway! It was an incredibly scenic day & we made numerous stops along the way. We discovered that our SUV is a hybrid & that’s why our gas gauge is not going down! Nice! We also discovered that it has a sun roof, which is really great – we can leave it open for fresh air while blasting the heater & keeping the heated seats on high.

Bell’s “Highway Road Logs”! I downloaded the logs in advance & we’ll utilize them throughout our road trip.

McHugh Creek Day Use Area! Scenic stop for great views out over Turnagain Arm. There’s a small “waterfall” here a short walk from the parking area, although I’d call it more of a “spill-over”.

Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge! We walked the elevated boardwalk at Potter Marsh! A mighty moose was snoozing in the bushes. Lots of birding opportunities! 

Beluga Point! Sadly, we didn’t spot any whales.

Windy Corner! We stopped to view the Dall sheep, but they were playing hide & seek.  

Bird Point! Great views of the mountains & the Turnagain Arm.

Alpine Café & Bakery! “Sweet” spot along the way. We shared a cinnamon bun & hot chocolate as the temperature was dropping.

Chugach National Forest Sign! Photo opp!

Old Portage Townsite! We drove by ruins from the 1964 Earthquake, including a “Ghost Forest” of dead trees that were killed when saltwater flooded their roots, which in turn, also helps preserve them in their “ghost-like” state.

Kenai Welcome Sign! Photo opp!

Kenai Fjords National Park! We stopped at the Exit Glacier Nature Center to stamp Colt’s National Park Passport & then, much to my husband’s delight, we hiked the Exit Glacier View Loop Trail (1m) & the Exit Glacier Overlook Trail (2.2m).

Welcome to Seward Sign! Photo opp!

Benny Benson Memorial Park! In honor of the man who, at thirteen years of age, designed the state flag! “The blue field is for the Alaska sky & the forget-me-not, an Alaska flower. The North Star is for the future of the state of Alaska, the most northerly in the Union. The dipper is for the Great Bear – symbolizing strength.” I think it’s an absolutely gorgeous design! Simple, yet effective!

Lowell Creek Waterfall! A nice gusher on the side of the road. 

Waterfall Beach! We beachcombed the small cove.

Subway. Sigh. By the time we went to eat dinner, everything was fixin’ to close, so we stopped by this old sandwich chain. We haven’t eaten here in years. Apparently, they tried changing the menu - numbering the subs & giving them fancy new descriptions. But we weren’t fooled. Same old subs.

We enjoyed our combo meals by the water, where a pair of bald eagles joined us! They were noshing on fresh fish! Jealous! 

Breeze Inn. We did not get what we paid for, but I knew that in advance. We paid a “lower-48” 3 star rate for 2 star Alaska digs. Booked for 1 night. $220.89 a night.

The Breeze Inn isn’t terrible, but it’s not an easy, breezy, beautiful cover-girl either. It’s clean enough & feels safe enough, so I guess it’s good enough.

I suppose I’ve stayed in far worse … a “wigwam” in Holbrook, Arizona; a “historic” inn on Route 66; a motel in Columbus, Georgia where cinder blocks held up the mattress (we checked out of that one mere minutes after we checked in & we weren’t surprised when they found a dead body under a bed in one of the rooms there a few weeks later)!

The Breeze Inn comes with free entertainment! The show started at 11PM & went on All. Night. Long. The new kids on the block performed first – they were singing their hearts out! Step by step, they were hangin’ tough until 3AM! They were followed by the mamas & the papas, who were dancing in the street! Sigh. All we wanted was a little California Dreamin’!

7 more “goodnight moons” until we board the Majestic Princess!

• Like 2

On 6/10/2023 at 7:38 AM, Fishbone said:

IMG_7134.thumb.jpeg.fc4aa571f4a8986dc33bb40078c24bd5.jpeg

IMG_7141.thumb.jpeg.28d32c33c4194881ac25e7238bbff0cc.jpeg

IMG_7142.thumb.jpeg.bb59b8de3d6b38b941c58eae42be328d.jpeg

IMG_7126.thumb.jpeg.8c03f4e966d1c5fdd9c7412b656472be.jpeg

IMG_7170.thumb.jpeg.f18bc82c639674a257d1c1f7ad3614a5.jpeg

IMG_7190.thumb.jpeg.262f07dc9de7521061c74edece2f5e07.jpeg

IMG_7156.thumb.jpeg.f72732603906b6e432ae8e4a10d80041.jpeg

IMG_7213.thumb.jpeg.c53c97f0c5e7623d7c66738c9628dca5.jpeg

IMG_7260.thumb.jpeg.8e0c4446ff7033bcef88cae5b44e7c27.jpeg

IMG_7271.thumb.jpeg.a7b6d1ad280a7503b759c22af9a63d67.jpeg

IMG_7281.thumb.jpeg.82a4a422b047d20763414ecbf68b642d.jpeg

IMG_7280.thumb.jpeg.75c93e998d9de14e1af675a796e93d92.jpeg

@Fishbone LOVE your reporting and pics. Thanks for taking the time.

So nice to see that you and your family are exploring so much in AK.

TIP- try wearing a toque, and gloves to guard your inner warmth. Adding a fashion scarf around your neck also helps. The bitter wind in AK is really cold! 

Last month when I was there, I purchased a fleece hat ( made in Canada- and I'm from Vancouver! ) with a native design. Kept me cozy enough through that wind in Icy Strait, GB and Hubbard viewing.

Carry on! Have fun. 

• Like 2

It’s 44° here in Seward. It snowed last night & the mountains got covered in fresh flakes. It’s currently raining. We “layered up” & headed to a black sand beach where the guys are shore fishing on a little island while a hungry seal happily splashes around. Life is good. 💙🥶💨💦🐟🎣❄️

IMG_7720.thumb.jpeg.24c1144c7d8b814cd4328ed8cb0ac0f3.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks so much @CruzeQueen2! Although we’re cold & exhausted, we’re having so much fun! Today, I bundled up Colt so much that he said he couldn’t breathe & felt like a mummy! And I made my husband wear a poncho in an attempt to keep him dry, but he ended up getting all tangled up in it & eventually ripped it off. How a grown man gets tangled in a plastic poncho? I have no idea. But it was hilarious! 

@Hogladyrider We brought our swimsuits, but I don’t think there’s any way we’ll be stripping down to get in a hot tub ‘cause at some point we’ll have to get out & that would be brutal! Enjoy those gorgeous arches in Utah! Did you ride a Harley all the way there???

@minniegidget It’s so different from what we imagined in so many ways! I hope you get to road trip through Alaska some day soon! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fishbone said:

@Hogladyrider We brought our swimsuits, but I don’t think there’s any way we’ll be stripping down to get in a hot tub ‘cause at some point we’ll have to get out & that would be brutal! Enjoy those gorgeous arches in Utah! Did you ride a Harley all the way there???

Nope, gave up riding about 5 years ago, too many drivers on their phones or texting, no longer felt safe on a bike.  We now have taken up off roading with our Honda Pioneer side by side and we love it!  Do not miss motorcycle at all.  We've done the arches etc and we are now further north for the summer in Helper, Utah.  Famous for coal mining and now oil production, FANTASTIC small town all the way around just like we like it!

Cruise to Hawaii in January baby!

• Like 1

Day 5 – Sun Jun 11 (42° at 10PM)

Greetings from Soldotna, Alaska! This town was not part of our itinerary, but I’m getting good at improvising. We woke up early in Seward & got going.

Lighthouse Cafe & Bakery! A pecan sticky bun & a Dr Pepper from the fountain! A great start to the day! 

Kenai Fjords National Park Visitor’s Center. Quick stop to stamp Colt’s NPS passport.

Seward Boat Harbor! We met a nice couple while walking the docks, admiring the boats. They were from Phoenix, but spend their summers on a sailboat in Seward. Buck & his wife were pushing 70, but full of life! They were so very sweet - told me to stop by their sailboat if I got too cold & they’d let me borrow a thick winter jacket! ❤️

Afterwards, my husband reminded me about an old made for tv movie (And the Sea Will Tell) that we recently rewatched (a true crime story) - about Buck and his sailboat! LOL! 

Fish House! A bait & tackle shop where the guys stocked up on more “souvenirs”.

Bay Barge Company! Another bait & tackle shop. How many souvenirs do two guys really need? The old guy here was super nice, pulled out a map & showed my husband exactly where to fish.

Lowell Point State Recreation Area! We walked a short path to the black sand/pebble beach that was insanely gorgeous: the mountain tops were covered in fresh snow; the fog was slowly rolling in; a cold rain was falling from the sky; a seal played in the water; green trees encircled us; & a little island just off the shore was waiting to be explored. The guys headed right over, fishing poles in hand. The water was low enough so that they could walk over on stones that had been piled up. I walked the beach & took in the scenery.

Firebrand BBQ! Brisket sandwich topped w/ slaw for my husband; turkey sandwich for Colt; pork belly sandwich topped w/ slaw for me. A bags of chips to share & two drinks.

Two Giant Puffins” mural. Photo opp!

Downtown Seward! Seward is very different from what I imagined. It’s not a sleepy little fishing town, it’s a busting tourist mecca.

4th of July Beach! We drove by the beach & the guys got all excited ‘cause there were literally hundreds of fishermen - all dressed up in their snazzy green waders. We quickly parked & the guys threw on their own new waders & rushed down to the beach … only to discover that the fishing was taking place about a mile & a half out in the water. My husband reluctantly decided that they were probably not appropriately equipped & thus we slowly walked back to the car.

My son was very disappointed. Along the way back, we passed two guys who were putting on their waders behind their big black truck filled with fishing gear. They asked us if we caught anything. We all laughed, told them we were from Florida, had no idea what we were doing, & were thus giving up before getting started.

They proceeded to give my guys a 10 minute “lesson” on fishing in Alaska, gifted them w/ multiple hooks, & directed them down the road to a place where they wouldn’t have to walk so far out to fish. It’s moments like this that I live for. Pure kindness from complete strangers. ❤️

We proceeded down the road as instructed & the guys fished their hearts out. They didn’t catch anything, but had so much fun trying! They came back to the car once to warm up & switch into dry clothes (as it was pouring rain), but quickly headed back out. My son was so wet, I gave him my sweatshirt, which is now sopping wet too.

When all was said & done, they were frozen to the bone, soaking wet, & filled with happiness. Red noses & blue lips. I hope my son remembers those two guys from Seward & the fun he had trying to snag salmon at Derby Cove for the rest of his life. ❤️

My husband told me that while they were out there fishing, another guy came over to show them how to do it ‘cause they were “doing it all wrong”! And then yet another guy showed them where the cutoff was for the fish they were trying to catch. The kindness from strangers has been overwhelming. ❤️

At around 6PM, we decided that we’d better get going. The great thing about Alaska is that it stays light out forever & thus driving at night is fantastic. You can accomplish so much in one day!  

Fred Meyer! We’re not familiar with this grocery chain, but we stopped for a few grab & goes for dinner in the car. Sushi, sandwiches, coleslaw, noodle salad, & Alaskan chips.

Best Western King Salmon Inn. An old roadside motel like back in the day. We can’t complain as it’s clean, seems safe, & was affordable. It even has a little old-school charm w/ a cute pattern on the carpet (moose/fish/bear); light wood furniture; & two canvases on the wall – one of a moose & one of a bear.

Once we were settled in for the night, my husband & I got into a little "tiff". He had the straight-up nerve to complain about the oatmeal that I brought, which exploded in transit & is now stuck in every crevice of one of our bags. "You've got to be kidding me!" I squawked! "Everything I own is a wet sopping mess, is covered in mud, & smells like tuna fish!" "Have you lost your mind?"

We may, in fact, stink to the holy heavens, but not because of my oatmeal! So if you encounter us on the ship & think to yourself that we smell a bit like brown sugar & maple syrup ... know that it could be much worse! Much, much worse! 

6 more “goodnight moons” until we board the Majestic Princess!

• Like 3

Fishbone, I am loving your report 😍  Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us.

I had no idea about the baseball league...just checked the schedule for the one night we have in Anchorage next week, but sadly both games are out of town.  I've already started my list for "next time we're in Alaska!"

50 minutes ago, Pluto_fan said:

Fishbone, I am loving your report 😍  Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us.

I had no idea about the baseball league...just checked the schedule for the one night we have in Anchorage next week, but sadly both games are out of town.  I've already started my list for "next time we're in Alaska!"

@Pluto_fan Anchorage has two teams! Here’s a link to the full schedule for all teams! Not sure if this will work, if not, I will repost tonight when we get to the hotel: 

http://www.matsuminers.org/files/uploaded_documents/1498/2023_Alaska_Baseball_League_Official_Schedule_4.pdf

• Like 1

Day 6 – Mon Jun 12 (40° at 10PM)

Greetings from Homer, Alaska!

You’re never going to believe how we spent our day in Soldotna. Champagne breakfast at an outdoor cafe on a cobblestone street? Nope. Picnic lunch on a grassy knoll filled with wildflowers? Nope. Romantic candlelit dinner at an Italian bistro w/ Tiramisu for dessert? Nope.

We (they) fished on the Kenai River under a bridge covered in graffiti. And we would’ve been there all day long had the guys not lost all the lures they just bought at Ken’s Tackle across the way! In hindsight, the bridge was an ideal spot, because it started pouring & we stayed perfectly dry (for once)!

This morning, we got a little bit of a late start. My dear husband gathered up every single piece of dirty laundry & took it to the wash. Two loads later, all of our clothes are washed, dried, folded, & re-packed. It smells like a Downy commercial up in here! Does anyone remember those old commercials from the 90’s … “Hello mother; Hello father; Greetings from Camp Hiasomething; Swimming’s cool here, but this place is … not like home … I miss those nice fresh pillow cases!”

Soldotna Visitors Center! So very friendly! Gave us a photocopy of the fishing rig setup we’d need & sent us across the way to “Ken’s”.

Ken’s! When we walked in, I think my husband was surprised to see two girls running the shop ‘cause he asked them if there was “anyone available” to help him setup his rigs. I was smiling from ear to ear when those girls taught him everything he needed to know for a day on the Kenai. You’d think by now he’d know that girls rule the world … but maybe he just forgot.

Kenai River! Very nice setup. There’s a boardwalk along the river from which you can fish your heart out.

While the guys were fishing, I made a lot of new friends … there was itchy, scratchy, zika, dengue, & malaria. Now these skeeters weren’t quite as big as the ones we met in Texas City, Texas a few years back, but they were just as hungry. This was the first time we encountered mosquitoes in Alaska. I guess it was because we were further inland.

Kasilof River State Recreation Site. There were tons of cars parked here, but not a soul to be found! My husband walked down to the river to “take a look”, but didn’t see a single person fishing. As we drove away, the guys concocted all sorts of explanations for their whereabouts - from alien abductions to bear attacks. Sigh.

Ninilchik Russian Orthodox Church! What a gorgeous setting. We were also treated to a baby moose & her mama!

Homer Spit! We walked the beach, taking in the incredibly scenic views. Then the guys slipped on their waders & splashed around in the water for hours - skipping rocks, chasing waves, jumping into pools of water, & various other shenanigans.

Airbnb! Our very first Airbnb! I was ridiculously nervous, but the intriguing little room above a shop on the boardwalk of the spit pulled me in! Perched precariously on the sand, it appeared small, sparse, & clean. Perfect for our needs!

Salty Stays Oceanfront Room #1! Booked for 2 nights. Upon arrival, we determined that it was beyond perfect! The location was idyllic Homer, Alaska! Directly on the spit, across from the harbor, down the street from the Fishing Hole!

It had everything we needed: queen bed, bunk-bed, mini fridge, mini microwave, & clean bathroom. The carpet-less floors made my OCD-self extra happy. The best part? The exceptional view from the large window overlooking/overlapping the water. $450.76/2=$225.38.

Beluga Slough Trail! We walked the trail & were excited to see a trio of Sandhill Cranes (mom/dad/baby), which was especially heartwarming because baby crane’s are called … colts!

Circle Hook! Photo opp.

Sportsman Supply & Rental! Manned by three women who set my husband up w/ the rigs he needed to fish in Homer.

Homer Boat Harbor! So many boats! Little boats. Big boats. Lots of long liners. We learned all about long line fishing on the Honolulu Fish Auction Tour that we took in December.

McDonalds! I know, I know, but did you know that McDonalds in Alaska sells a special burger … the Denali - a modified Big Mac! Lots of restaurants in Homer seem to have either gone out of business, close very early, or are closed on Mondays/Tuesdays. 

Fishing Hole! The guys fished & fished & fished & …

Tackle Shack! My husband had to run over to get some more bait!

The guys fished until midnight. They're living their best life, no doubt! Then we came “home” & admired the view. We fell asleep to the waves crashing under our abode. What a fantastic way to end a great day.

5 more “goodnight moons” until we board the Majestic Princess!

• Like 4

@Tyskie Usually, I’m right there with them! Celebrating their catches or consoling their losses! I love to take pictures, so I walk the beach, photograph the wildlife, enjoy the scenery, explore the surroundings, etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Was thinkin bout you guys today, an wondered if you was in vancouver.

@gottagoacruzn We are still driving around Alaska. Our ship, the Majestic Princess, departs Whittier, AK, this Saturday. I'm so excited! 

• Like 1