Ilikai Hotel and Oahu tours report, May 2023

georgiacat

We stayed 4 nights prior to our POA cruise in May.  We took the taxi Hawaii23 (808-926-9049) ($33 + tip = $40) from airport to hotel Ilikai Resort condo 325.  We rented the condo through Waikiki Beach Rentals.

The condo was 2 bedroom, 2 bath with kitchen, living room and dining room areas.  It had a city view, some traffic noise, but not enough to bother us.  The showers could use handicap bars as the floor was slippery when wet.  Beds were comfortable, 1 king, 1 double/queen, 1 twin.

There was a McDonald’s across the street for breakfast, ABC store on the corner for drinks and souvenirs, and Red Lobster on corner; we ate supper there once.  There is a pharmacy across the street where we found distilled water for the CPAP machine; it was only a pharmacy, not a drug store like we are used to.

Ilikai was very nice.  We ate supper at the restaurant Cinnamon; the menu was good, but limited.  We had hamburgers and loaded tacos (spicy).  The ice cream store was good also.  We were close to the marina; the pool looked inviting, but we did not try it.  We walked along the pathway to the edge of Waikiki beach.  We stopped along the way to watch the surfers and water traffic, boats, parasails, etc.

There is a laundry room on each floor by the elevators.  $3 each for washer and dryer.  They worked with credit card.  The machines have a countdown clock for how much time is left before they finish.

There are bus stops very close to the hotel, and tour bus stops close in the other direction.  We used them and were so glad they were close as we did not rent a car.  Pictures to follow.  I have trouble imbedding pictures into text.

1 Ilikai Hotel.JPG

4 entrance Ilikai.JPG

5 Lobby Ilikai.JPG

10 entry condo 325.JPG

11 kitchen.JPG

12 dining area.JPG

13 living area.JPG

14 diningliving areas.JPG

15 main bedroom.JPG

16 second bedroom.JPG

17 bathroom.JPG

18 shower.JPG

19 Marina.JPG

24 surfers off Waikiki.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did the Roberts Oahu Grand Circle Tour..

Met bus at ABC store #83 at 6:30 am, returns 4:30 pm

Interesting tour with several stops.  Weather mild with a few sprinkles.

We had lunch at the Kualoa Ranch.  I was disappointed that this was only a  lunch stop.  The food was okay.  You could schedule tours from there if you were on your own time.  We had a tour bus schedule.

This tour was good, but basic.  It gave us an overview of the Oahu island.

• Like 1

Polynesian Cultural Center tour & luau w/transportation

10:15 am Motor coach pick up.  Arrived at PCC about 12:00; hot dog for lunch.

Ito and Almay were our guides through the islands, very friendly & nice.  Put us up front and gave us seats for every venue.

Samoa – made fish (weaving), show, men climbed trees

Aotearoa (New Zealand) – did swinging balls exercise, dancing

Fiji – alter of sacrifice, boat used in film Moana

Tonga – tattoo (tattoo will stain clothing if rained upon)

Tahiti – wedding ceremony

Took canoe ride back to the beginning for the luau.

Aloha Luau was very good; presented with leis upon entrance to restaurant area; virgin pina colada served in pineapple at the beginning.  Buffet with lots of food and you could return for more.  The food was delicious.

During the luau there was a show of dancers on the stage up front:  hula dancers, children, fire dancing, the “queen” made an entrance. It was held in a covered outdoor venue against a background of waterfalls and lush gardens.  We had individual tables.  The setting was gorgeous.

Hawaiian Journeys theater – beautiful pictures, no commentary.  17 minutes

HA, Breath of Life presentation was very good.  A lot of what we had seen on the Islands.  Started at 7:30; ended at 9 pm.

Went to restrooms, then bus.  Back at hotel at 10:30 pm.

This was my favorite day of all the Hawaiian excursions we did.  I chose this situation for our luau, and I am pleased with my choice.  Had a great time; easy to use their transportation.

IMG_0694.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, georgiacat said:

and Red Lobster on corner; we ate supper there once

Oh man... you had me until "Red Lobster", was the Waffle House closed 🤣😁

So many great places to eat in Waikiki, especially local spots found only in Hawaii.

Nice TR though.

After getting up at 4 am, touring all day until 4:30 pm, doing 2 loads of laundry while the guys rested, I did not want to walk, did not know where to go close by.  We had already eaten at the hotel restaurant and the menu did not vary, good but limited.  All I wanted was a salad with grilled shrimp.  Not the best experience, but it fed us until we collapsed in bed about 8 pm.  I knew what they had and did not feel adventurous.  Some of us have fickle tummies about new food.

I did not see a Waffle House; I would have gone there too.  Gourmets, we are not.  We just like to eat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, georgiacat said:

I did not see a Waffle House; I would have gone there too.  Gourmets, we are not.  We just like to eat.

I was joking about Waffle House, but it would be a huge hit on Oahu; the locals would love it. It is too bad you didn't walk 100 feet further from the Red Lobster because at the other end of the building where Red Lobster is Harbor Pub & Pizza, which is a fabulous local pub with some of the best burgers on Oahu, Upstairs from it is the Chart House, which is great too, but more of a steak place.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:36 AM, DCwom said:

We are also looking at a 4 day pre POA stay, but have been leery of the non hotel route (never rented a condo), did you find the condo to be a better decision than a hotel?

Less than 7 nights I never stay in a condo. If the condo has cleaning fees it becomes more cost effective to stay in a hotel usually. The Ilikai is a hybrid condo/hotel so I am not sure if all the units have cleaning fees or not.

Your budget might be the driver on which direction to go.

We were interested in two bedrooms (with 2 bathrooms) for 3 nights pre cruise.  It turned out that the Ilikai was a better deal than renting 2 hotel rooms.  We wanted to be close to the beach.  All fees were quoted up front.  They did require a minimum 4 night stay, and I was okay, even happy, with that.  I believe there was a cleaning fee, but there was no resort fee.  You need to consider that add on for certain hotels.  I was very pleased with our hotel and location.  We enjoy having a common area to gather and a refrigerator to keep drinks cold, even though I don't cook on vacation.

• Like 2

We're on POA now, did 2 nights in Waikiki pre-cruise.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites, and had 2 rooms: a 1 br/ 1 bath and a 2 br/2 bath. The 2 br had a king in one br and 2 queens in the other. Both suites were quite spacious. We opted for the Hula Tower based on reviews, and it was a good choice. It was quite pricey, but we were able to use Hilton points to offset some of the cost. It's very conveniently located, easy walk to just about anything.

• Like 1