Iceland questions/ideas

AusMum

We have a wedding to go to in Denmark in late August 2024.  We have added a Reykjavik to Reykjavik 16 night Iceland and Greenland cruise on to our itinerary, but we have about 9 nights between leaving Denmark and the commencement of our cruise.

My original plan was to spend those nights in Scotland (another country on my bucket list), but now thinking we might be better off spending those extra days in Iceland.  Thoughts? what have others done when doing a similar cruise?

9 nights is a lot to add in Iceland if your cruise is going there as well.  It isn’t that big a country.  We have been 4 times, once on land and the others on cruises, and much as I love Iceland, it would probably spend that much time elsewhere.

• Like 4

When we cruised from Reykjavik a few years ago we spent 3 days  in Iceland before it and we saw a good representation of what Iceland has to offer. Some people do like to drive around the island but I personally think 5 days in Scotland and 3 in Iceland would  be the way to go.

I am assuming you are on the Endeavour cruise not the slightly earlier Spirit cruise. If on the Spirit I would spend more time in Scotland.

12 hours ago, drron29 said:

When we cruised from Reykjavik a few years ago we spent 3 days  in Iceland before it and we saw a good representation of what Iceland has to offer. Some people do like to drive around the island but I personally think 5 days in Scotland and 3 in Iceland would  be the way to go.

I am assuming you are on the Endeavour cruise not the slightly earlier Spirit cruise. If on the Spirit I would spend more time in Scotland.

Thanks! we are on the 16 night Endeavour -  Iceland and Greenland

Last year we did a road tour in Iceland before going on a cruise in Greenland. We do like driving travels and we had 10 days driving around. We loved it, unfortunately my husband got covid and we could not finish. We would go back this year, but our daughter chose something else.

If you like driving around, do some hikings, picknics, 9 days would be great in Iceland, but I believe you also can do that in Scotland, as well.

I would consider 3 days in Reykjavik.

9 hours ago, Lirio said:

Last year we did a road tour in Iceland before going on a cruise in Greenland. We do like driving travels and we had 10 days driving around. We loved it, unfortunately my husband got covid and we could not finish. We would go back this year, but our daughter chose something else.

If you like driving around, do some hikings, picknics, 9 days would be great in Iceland, but I believe you also can do that in Scotland, as well.

I would consider 3 days in Reykjavik.

Thank you! we have a caravan here in Australia, and anywhere is a long drive from where we are.  We are off to a place called Exmouth next month (famous for whale sharks).  It's a 13 hour drive (without a caravan), we will only have covered half our state, and there will be miles and miles of nothing.

Sorry your husband got Covid whilst you were away.  I caught it (for the first time) about 3 weeks ago.  I've just gotten over feeling like I'm constantly drowning, so it would be scary to go through it in a foreign country!

6 minutes ago, LAexNY said:

Hello, AusMum,

We are doing the Kimberley on Silversea this August and will be staying in Perth 3 nights before boarding the Explorer.  Looking forward to it.

Ohhh that's awesome!  it will be pretty cold in Perth, but should be lovely when you get to the Kimberley (it's amazing how many climates we have in one state).

What do you have planned for Perth? does the ship stop in Exmouth on the way?

Yes, we have a day in Exmouth. 
no plans yet for Perth. We did spend 2 days in Perth & Fremantle a few years ago when we did a circumnavigation of Australia. 
we enjoyed Fremantle and the great park in Perth. 

I hope you get to see the whale sharks in Exmouth! we were there in July, a few years ago, and got to see Orcas - sadly, they were hunting baby humpbacks, but were pretty amazing to see.

Perth's population has doubled in the past few years - it's crazy!

Ahh, that would have been Kings Park.

1 hour ago, AusMum said:

Thank you! we have a caravan here in Australia, and anywhere is a long drive from where we are.  We are off to a place called Exmouth next month (famous for whale sharks).  It's a 13 hour drive (without a caravan), we will only have covered half our state, and there will be miles and miles of nothing.

Sorry your husband got Covid whilst you were away.  I caught it (for the first time) about 3 weeks ago.  I've just gotten over feeling like I'm constantly drowning, so it would be scary to go through it in a foreign country!

Several years ago, we did a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne up to great ocean road. We went through the mountains. We loved it.

• Like 2