Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean

perkyblue

I have sailed with RCCL 3 times, and was completely thrilled with my experience each time. My previous cruises were on Voyager and I'm booked for Carnival Legend in June. (The only reason I didn't go with RC this time is because I received a buy one get one free offer from a TA & the deal was only valid for a Carnival cruise.)

I was wondering if some of you who have cruised with both have any comments about similarities, differences, which you prefer & why, etc. I'm totally excited and open-minded about sailing with Carnival, but my experiences with RC were all so fantastic, I can't imagine how it could get much better! (Although I am really looking forward to that waterslide!)

I have only been on a short cruise on an older RCL ship, but just based on that, I prefer Carnival... the food is about even, but Carnival's pizza BLOWS RCL's away... big time. I didn't care for the Windjammer, Carnival has a different selection at the buffet everyday. I didn't like the fact that RCL bordered on harassment when pushing drinks, even in the buffet area... And RCL's drink prices seemed higher, whereas Carnival had drink specials, specials on refills, etc. The cabins on RCL were TINY (TINY TINY!!!!!!!) All in all, Carnival was just more fun and laid back at the same time. I would like to try a longer cruise on RCL, but for now, I prefer Carnival. I had a great time on RCL, there were just a few things that I really enjoyed better on Carnival.

I've only cruised on Carnival's Fantasy Class ships, a small Princess ship, and RCCL's Rhapsody in the last 10 years...

Although I enjoyed all cruises I've been fortunate enough to sail, I felt that RCCL was a lot like Carnival...except that I paid a lot more and had less fun.

They don't call them the "Fun Ships" for nothing!

You will enjoy Carnival, but it is not like RCCL. Just go with a good attitude and you will have a good time. Search the boards for your same question or search my info for postings. We returned last week from the Conquest and had an enjoyable, but different experience.

I've only cruised on Carnival's Fantasy Class ships, a small Princess ship, and RCCL's Rhapsody in the last 10 years...

Although I enjoyed all cruises I've been fortunate enough to sail, I felt that RCCL was a lot like Carnival...except that I paid a lot more and had less fun.

They don't call them the "Fun Ships" for nothing!

LOL Stir, that is exactly how I felt!!!! They were definitely more similar than they were different, but there were differences. One of the biggest disappointments I had, which could have just been this ship or sailing, was that the bartenders were so "blah"... not exciting, not having fun, not smiling... I like the more festive, happy attitude that I have experienced on Carnival. From reading the boards, I was expecting RCL to be much "classier"?? (hate using that term, because I don't find either line to be "non-classy") but I DEFINITELY didn't find that!!! I'd say the only main difference in the ships themselves was that the RCL ship was a little more toned down, but several people commented that it only made the RCL ship look that much older, very "blah". I definitely had a good time, but missed my fun ships!!! :D

I've sailed on Fantasy class ships 3 times, Conquest class twice and RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas. (I have an upcoming trip on Valor, also). There are some differences between the two lines, but I don't think they are that major. I will give you obversations between the Conquest (Jan, 2003) and Grandeur (Mar, 2003). While the Conquest was newer and more glitzy, Grandeur was a lovely elegant ship. Grandeur had a stricter non-smoking policy and it was far easier to keep away from the smoking. Conquest had nicer rooms, by far. The food and Entertainment was better on Conquest. Grandeur had nicer pool areas (IMHO). Even though the ships were different ages, I felt that the cruising experience was overall very equal. There were pros and cons to both, but I would gladly sail on either line again. I tend to like newer Carnival ships, having had some less than great experiences on the older ships. I'm sure your upcoming trip on Carnival will be very nice.

The CCL ships are nothing like the Voyager Class ships. Make sure you look at what ships people have sailed on and the length of their cruise when they give their RCCL opinion.

And the opposite should hold true as well, make sure you look at what CCL ships people have cruised on when they give their opinion of CCL ;)

I had heard of the Carnival Comfort Bed, but mine wasn't. I did love the duvet and various pillows, but mine was not as hard as Princess or NCL, but not much different than RCCL. Either that, or I'm just too use to my own bed.

The biggest difference I saw was the beds & bedding! Oh your going to love the good nights sleep you'll get on Carnival!

Thank you! I've been working on my review and knew I left something important out!!! The beds were more like cots (and I can't stand short-sheeting!! LOL) I LOVE Carnival's new bedding!!! It really does make a HUGE difference!!!!! Their old bedding left much to be desired, but the new down comforters and pillows, coupled with the new bedding system make for a great night sleep!!!

Took a short cruise with RCCI, lets just say i will be very glad to be going on Carnival again in September. RCCI did have better food in the main dining room. thats about it everything else i prefered on Carnival.

I've been on both lines AND have been on the Legend. She is the best ship so far I think - a bit glitzy but packed with amenities and facilites. Especially great was all the food choices and restaurants. Best 'buffets' around. RCI food was good too but Carnival has the edge to us for cruising. I actually missed her last week while on NCL's Sun!! :D

Thank you! I've been working on my review and knew I left something important out!!! The beds were more like cots (and I can't stand short-sheeting!! LOL) I LOVE Carnival's new bedding!!! It really does make a HUGE difference!!!!! Their old bedding left much to be desired, but the new down comforters and pillows, coupled with the new bedding system make for a great night sleep!!!

I actually said to my dh, "this bed looks like a cot"!

We had a cat 11 room on the Conquest but I don't think that would have made a difference. On the Voyager we had a balcony room.

The other thing I forgot about is that on the Voyager we could really hear our neighbors, opening & closing drawers, using the hair dryer, just about everything they did. I don't remember hearing anyone on the Conquest.

I have only sailed on RC smaller ships and then on Carnival and I do prefer Carnival, however I haven't sailed on the newer, larger RC ships which I would like to do, especially with the kids.

I did sleep much better on the Carnival ship and loved the size of the room in comparison. I actually liked the food better and did not care too much for paying extra for ice cream and hamburgers on Royal Carribean. I do have to agree it may have been a little more rowdy on Carnival(but we go over Spring Break) and there IS more smoking. (IMHO)

Archived