Not sure what to book

Casper2007

Whoey

I noticed you have travelled on both the Fairstar and Pacific Sun and you write great reviews. I have travelled on the Fairstar and was quite dissappointed with the ship in terms of the conditions and cramped nature. How would you rate the comparison between the Sun and Fairstar.

Regards Keith

Whoey

I noticed you have travelled on both the Fairstar and Pacific Sun and you write great reviews. I have travelled on the Fairstar and was quite dissappointed with the ship in terms of the conditions and cramped nature. How would you rate the comparison between the Sun and Fairstar.

Regards Keith

Gee Keith,you're the first person I've heard to be dissappointed with the Fairstar:eek: . It was a great ship. Sure, it wasn't luxurious but boy was it fun. Just goes to show though how people have different tastes & expectations. If I enjoy my upcoming cruise half as much as I enjoyed my Fairstar one, I'll be happy.

Karen

Hi Karen

Before travelling on the Fairstar I cruised on the Oriana (First One) albeit a little younger I found the ship to somewhat grand with spacious lounges and cabins etc. Dont get me wrong, I did have fun although I found the ship to be a little lacking any style. Also there was a lot of vibration and the air conditioning couln't cope as I went on an Asian cruise in May, it was very hot.

I am going on the Sun in June with my family and I am sure we will have fun, in particular our kids, 6 and 9 and was wondering what others thoughts were.

Cheers Keith

I'll let you know whenI get back from the Sun. I must say though, it is going to be very different. I cruised on Fairstar 20 years ago & I was single. This time I have hubby & 3 kids. so will be a very different experience.

Karen

Karen

I will be interested to hear how your 15 year old fits in as we have some friends who we asked to come along however their kids are 13 and 16 and they say they are too old for kids clubs but too young to participate in the adult activities. Oh well you have only a couple of weeks to go before you find out. Have a great time and looking forward to your review.

Cheers Keith

Actually Keith, that was my biggest worry when we booked & I asked the TA about things to do for teens. The main reason being, when my family went to UK in 1975 on Australis, there was lots for under 12's & lots for over 18's but not much for in between. Anyway, she assured me that there will be plenty for him to do. Suncoaster, another poster on this site is going on our cruise & has a 16 y.o daughter so I know he's not the only teenager on board:p . My sister's best friend went on Christmas cruise with 3 teenage daughters & they had a ball. Will let you know though how things go with Alex.

Karen

:) Hi everyone,

I really must thank you all for your help. It is so wonderful of you's to help me.Showed hubby and he was blown away with all the help:) So now we just have to decide on where we wont to go..:) So once again THANK YOU ALL very much:)

We booked because we got 50% off. never cruised before, had no set idea about which islands to visit. So I just picked 3 cruises & settled on the longest, 11 nights. Hopefully we will have a good time. My girlfriend & her hubby are joining us & she hasn't even looked at the brochure. She just wants to be surprised.

Karen

I will be interested to hear how your 15 year old fits in as we have some friends who we asked to come along however their kids are 13 and 16 and they say they are too old for kids clubs but too young to participate in the adult activities. Oh well you have only a couple of weeks to go before you find out. Have a great time and looking forward to your review.

Cheers Keith

hi keith i will be travelling with my son 16 and daughter 13. we are also going with friends who have kids the same age, so look out for my report also when we return.

cheers karon

ps sorry for the hijack casper. i am sure you will have a cruise countdown thing in your signature very soon:) :)

Keith,

I agree with Karen I was on Fairstar when I was "young" and single. But as you can see being married and having family hasn't stopped me. I agree the Oriana (first one) was a better class of ship at the time. You will be surprised with the Sun we went in New Year for first time, you and the kids will enjoy it. Do not worry about the children. Our first family cruise was 6 years ago when our son was 9 and daughter 7. They can't wait till we save the moeny to take them each time. Our son is now 16 and daughter 14 and still have a ball on the ship. We are taking them on the Sapphire Princess next January to show them real luxury. We went on this ship just DH and myself and you cant compare to Aust ships. It will be interesting to see what changes Uast makes for the new ship coming end of next year

Fairstar was our first cruise and as such with no comparison it seemed a great ship (albeit old!).

Sun is more stable in bad seas and has a newer feel to it, although it is also old by world standards.

It's hard to answer your question as we thought Fairstar had an old world feel to it which was charming and appealing.

Hi all

Thanks for your replys. It does make a difference when you travel at a younger age with a more carefree careless attitude: oh to be that age again, not a worry in the world and 100% focus on enjoying yourself. I am looking forward to the Sun cruise as I think I have boating and ships in my blood. Maybe it has something to do with imigrating to Aust on a ship as a 10 pound pom. I was only 6 at the time however I remember specific moment of the trip on the "Ellenis" a Greek crewed ship. Boy was it rough, the crew wet the table cloths in the dining room to keep the plates on the table and I rember going for a ride in an armchair across the lounge smashing the tables and anything in my way after a large wave hit the ship. My poor mother was seasick for 5 weeks! Ever since I had a love for cruising however cant manage too many trips

1968 Ellenis - Southampton to Sydney

1984 Oriana - South Pacific

1995 Fairstar - Singapore to Hong Kong

2006 Pacific Sun - N620

Hi Keith

I have just read your post - I also sailed to Australia on the "Ellinis' in 1971 - however I was only 9 months old so I don't remember much!! However, my mum says she (and my dad) had a ball and that they were following a family tradition as my grandparents sailed on the Ellinis in 1967 and my aunty and uncle also sailed on the Ellinis in 1968.

rach

Rach

What a small world; do you know what month your Grandparents sailed. I think I sailed in November of 1968 but would need to do some research with the parents to be sure. I do remember going to shool for a couple of weeks learning the decimal currency and actually leaning to swim in the ships pool. Interestingly I got some old movies converted to DVD late last year witch contained footage of my trip to Australia all those years ago. We may have been on the same crossing as your Grandparents.

Cheers Keith

Whoey

Regards Keith

Keith

The Fairstar doesn't compare to the newer ships as far as style, size, facilities and layout goes, but where the Fairstar stood out was the atmosphere it had, it will always be known as the party ship.The newer ships are nice but there was something special about the Fairstar.

Nigel

Thanks for the reply. When it comes to partying I have a bit of a reputation so looking forward to fun on the Sun if that is what happens.

Will know in about 4 months.

Cheers Keith

What a small world indeed. I also sailed on the Ellinis with my mother from Sydney to NZ. A very rough passage. I think I was the only one not seasick. Can't remember what year...196something.

Archived