First time on Oceania--what are your best tips?

anonymousegirl

On 6/26/2023 at 12:09 PM, anonymousegirl said:

Hi all,

Husband and I are doing our first O cruise on the Riviera on July 9, Southampton to Reykjavik. We're in a PH3 (with the old bathroom design). We have booked all three La Reserves, and have our four specialty dining booked as well. We've done the online check-in. We're staying in nearby Winchester and will Uber over to the terminal.

What tips do you have that you think I should know, do, download, or whatever?

Thanks!!!

Lori

Take the time to enjoy the pre-dinner string quartet concerts.  They are a wonderful luxury.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 2:04 PM, Wynterwynd said:

We’re getting ready for our 7th Oceania cruise (Norwegian coast) and I’ll speak to the food.  First of all, not having to make grocery list, buy groceries, cook every day makes EVERY meal wonderful on board, lol (and I actually like to cook).  The menus haven’t changed much, so by now I know what I want to eat and I’m rarely disappointed.  We generally have dinner in grand dining room or a specialty restaurant.  I like breakfast in the GDR, also, though they do make omelets to order in Terrace Cafe.  We rarely eat in the Terrace Cafe…if it’s busy, it’s too much like a high school cafeteria (not the food, the ambiance).

Waves Gril:  as someone else mentioned, the surf & turf sandwich (i have them ‘hold the bun’).  Burgers are also good and the grilled tuna.  You’re also right next to the ice cream/smoothie bar!

GDR:  I love the lobster bisque; other soups are usually good, too.  Mussels with lemongrass.  Lobster pad Thai (is it authentic?  No…but it’s good!).  The souffle of the day for dessert.  The schnitzel is surprisingly good; also the rolled up chicken (forgot the name of it).  For breakfast, lots of choices, eggs Benedict (I order with regular bacon instead of Canadian) or a poached egg on avocado toast.

Polo Grill:  Lobster bisque. the Maine lobster (removed from shell); the filet, the prime rib, the lamb chops.  I’ve had good luck with all of them.  The escargot or oysters Rockefeller appetizers.  The marshmallows for dessert (or the creme brulee)

Toscana:  the risotto is delicious.  Osso Bucco if you like that (I don’t, but friends love it).
the spinach salad.  Veal with mushroom sauce.  Beef filet with Gorgonzola. Rack of lamb (yum!!).  The lobster tail or the branzino.  My sister always orders the Dover sole which they filet at the table.

Red Ginger (if your ship has that restaurant):  the miso-glaze sea bass.  Skip the beef rendang, it’s not authentic and more like pot roast.

I’ve cruised with friends, relatives and (just) my hubby.  We all finds tons of things we like to eat on board.  My niece is vegetarian and she found plenty that she liked.  

I don’t have any other cruise lines to compare to, other than Regent and that was my first cruise and I was not impressed with the food.  Oceania opened my eyes (we’ve been on Regatta, Insignia, Sirena and soon on Marina).  My best advice, if you don’t care for what they bring you, ask for something else!

Good perspective and nicely written. Thank you. We are also on a first Oceana cruise Vista Miami-Valetta March 2024.