Snorkeling on St. Thomas & St. Martin?

I have posted this before, but never got any really definitive answers, so I'll try again: If we want to do some non-RCI booked snorkeling where should we go? I want to go somewhere that is easy to get to but not the one beach where everybody will be. Also, it would be nice to go somewhere where we can see fish, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I have never been to St. Thomas but am going this summer and planning on catching the ferry at Red Hook to go over to St. John. St. John has cinnamon bay and trunk bay which are supposed to be good for snorkeling.

We haven't been to St. Thomas since our last cruise, but we took an excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John - I can tell you that this is still one of the most beautiful places I"ve ever seen. And they are still showing it on the travel channel as one of the best beaches. They have an underwater snorkle trail that was pretty cool - that was the first time we ever snorkled.

Just to let you know you can take a taxi to two excellent beachs that have very good snorkeling and they rent chairs and snorkeling equipment etc. Lot less money compared to booking with RCCL. St Maarten snorkeling is not as good at St Thomas.

We did the St Johns tour and went to Trunk Bay. I am sooo glad we did. Its not as crowded as Magens Bay. At Trunk bay, they have signs in the water there that show what kind of fish and coral you see. The sand was soft and clean. We just went to Megans Bay ...becuase its in the top 10 beaches in the world. In my opinion, its over rated. Its beautiful from above looking down from the mountain, but its so crowded. We regret not returning to Trunk Bay on this past cruise on 3/4 on the Serenade. We are going back in March 07 and will return to Trunk Bay.

Have Fun

Here are my recommendations and in fact we have done this many times matter of fact last week during our cruise on the Mariner 3/6 3/12

St Thomas cab fare to red hook 10.00 per person each way,

Ferry Ride to st john 5.00 per person each way Ferry Ride 15 minutes runs every hour on the hour

Taxi to cinammon or trunk 6.00 per person each way

Entrance to Trunk bay 4.00 per person

Having said all that, it is still cheaper to do this than to take a similiar tour with the ship

Now another option for st thomas (again we have done this) rent a car, budget and avis just off of where the ships dock, drive to meghans bay in the am , come back park the car, do lunch aboard the ship and get out of the sun and then head over to saphirre beach in the afternoon

Best snorkeling is at st johns, better crowd control and if you go on your own and get out there early you avoid the ships crowds

St marteen rent a car, they will haggle with you, we got an economy car for 35 plus taxes 40 drove to dawn beach very nice, weather was a bit snippy but good for snorkleing on a good day. We then drove out to orient beach, here is my take on this place is a dump beach is nice but not for snorkleing plenty of sights to see, but can get crowded but it is up to you and what you want to see, when I say it is a dump, roads in are a mess, garbage and stuff all out back of the buildings where you park oh well

Hope this helps

Pete

Archived