Venture - Iceland & Greenland - July 2-16

markandjie

You really get an appreciation for how maneuverable the Venture is as you enter the sound. They were turning so fast that the ship tilted. Hard to see on this photo, but if you look closely you can see our zig zag wake.PXL_20230710_125111494.thumb.jpg.d93b9a4a2de5750b3a5f9f84896e7210.jpg

• Like 1

We had a great submersible excursion yesterday at Hvalsey. Right as we boarded they were having issues communicating with the other sub and they announced they were cancelling our dive. However, after further comms checks we got the go ahead after all! (Kind of the story of our trip... Disappointment... But wait!)

We dove to 400+ feet deep and had amazing views of millions of jellyfish all the way down.

PXL_20230711_195110596.thumb.jpg.7a383a61dd2e5c77c4106012865c576c.jpg

At the bottom we could see tube anemones and some small fish and shrimp looking things.

PXL_20230711_200239716.thumb.jpg.dd85841f8a851968387eef8cb0c57af8.jpg

On the way up we spotted a huge jellyfish and our driver was kind enough to spend some extra time checking it out. 

PXL_20230711_202121948.thumb.jpg.8de4f22d50e867f436582bef4e9ad96e.jpg

All in all a great experience!

• Like 4

On 7/16/2023 at 6:14 AM, Khareef said:

How is the weather so far? how many layers of clothes are people wearing? Gloves as well?

Weather was windy and brisk, but lots of sunny days. Layers varied widely as one would expect. I was generally comfortable in a base layer plus the inner liner of the parka. For windy days or zodiac rides I added the outer layer of the parka. And as a photographer gloves were a must or my hands would freeze. I also wore a fleece beanie that covered my ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, markandjie said:

Weather was windy and brisk, but lots of sunny days. Layers varied widely as one would expect. I was generally comfortable in a base layer plus the inner liner of the parka. For windy days or zodiac rides I added the outer layer of the parka. And as a photographer gloves were a must or my hands would freeze. I also wore a fleece beanie that covered my ears.

Thanks, it looks like we may need way less layers this time around.

How wet are the Zodiac rides? In Antartica we got wet quite often (but we were always wearing boots and water proof pants)! You had water proof shoes or just normal trekking shoes?