Not returning to ship at overnight final port

Pptarmigan

We are cruising from Athens to Venice in a few weeks.  We were informed a couple of days ago that NCL is no longer tendering in Venice, we now have to dock in Trieste and be transferred into the city.  The "port day" is on a Thursday and disembarkation day is the next day (Friday). Since Venice is the last stop, I'd prefer to just take the transfer into town on Thursday morning, spend the night in Venice Thursday night and head to the airport Friday morning rather than a two hour transfer back to the ship in the evening and another early morning two hour transfer to the airport Friday morning.  When I asked about just leaving the cruise on Thursday, I was told that wasn't possible.  I can't imagine how they'd police that since they have no way to ensure everyone gets back to the ship on Thursday evening.  I also don't think there are any issues with immigration since we're only in EU countries the entire time.  Has anyone done this before? Thanks.