Canadian Currency for port stop?

Do we need any Canadian currency for a one day port stop in Vancouver or can we use US $? I know the exchange rate is good for the US $, but I would expect we would use our credit cards for most shopping, but wondered if we should have some currency for incidentals, food, drink etc?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree...any store will exchange US into CDN for you but whether you get a good exchange rate is another story! There are banks near the Canada Place port that will be able to change any US you need for the day.

Most of our credit cards charge a usurious rate for exchanging currency when you charge in another country. Many stores, especially those in Halifax, have cash registers that convert the currency if you pay in dollars. While it may not be the best exhcnage rate (and I don't know that it isn't) it can't be any worse than a lousy exchange rate PLUS a transaction fee of several percent as you will see on a credit card.

Credit cards tend to charge the preferred bank rates and thus tend to be cheaper than going to the banks to withdraw foreign currencies. At least thats the way it works in Canada when we need to obtain $US. Thus I make sure when I travel to the US that I take along my credit card and only have cash for incidentals. Sometimes I'll just withdraw cash from US ATMs when I am down there.

Still, if you are in Canada for one day there are plenty of ATMs around - everywhere - that you can get your badly needed Canadian cash if you deem it to be so. Yes, you will likely be charged a transaction fee but so do the currency exchange places and the credit cards so where can you win?

Most stores in border cities will accept US currency but I agree with most of the posters in that they do not charge the best exchange and I would think this would be the least preferable way to go.

Overall, don't worry. Your money is acceptable in Canada far more so than the other way around. Just enjoy your day in beautiful Vancouver!

Archived