Passport Question

audraz2

I got my passport when I was single. When I got married they did not change the name just stamped on the back page my new name. On the passport website I saw that if you are married to bring a copy of your marriage license. Will I have to bring the license or will the passport be fine? I havent had a problem yet but I do not want to go all the way to the port to go back home to get the paper work.:confused:

Your passport shows your new name correct? And that is the name you booked under? Then you will be fine.

Not sure what you mean by needing a marriage license "on the passport website". Except in unusual circumstances, marriage licences are not required to show your name change, even for getting a passport. Bottom line, if it worries you, bring the license just for peace of mind..but it sounds as if you do not need it.

Audraz2, you'll be fine.

Cherylandtk, to change your name on your passport now you do need a marriage license to prove the new name and they don't do the stamp in the back anymore, they issue a whole new passport including the new chip thing (new homeland security rules).

Cathyz, to CHANGE the name on an existing passport, yes, they have always needed a marriage license to prove the name change. But to apply for one in the first place, they still do not ask for a marriage license. Your identity at the time you apply is proven by a driver's license (usually) in your married name and you do not need to prove the name change.

Audra, you will probably be fine, but with the new passport & travel laws that will take affect 12/06, you are right to question whether you are in compliance or not.

The fact that they have already corrected your passport with your new name probably means you are fine, just be prepared to point that page out to whoever checks your passport. (They will check it when boarding the ship, and MOST IMPORTANT, when you get OFF the ship back in the US.) IF your passport did NOT already have this official correction, you would need to bring your marriage license as proff of your name change.

My suggestion tho? If your passport is more than 5 yrs old, spend the $$$ and get a new one with all the new security bells & whistles when they are available.

Sha

Audraz2, you'll be fine.

Cherylandtk, to change your name on your passport now you do need a marriage license to prove the new name and they don't do the stamp in the back anymore, they issue a whole new passport including the new chip thing (new homeland security rules).

Okay Cathy I gotta ask, "new chip thing"? :confused:

dms--new passports have a security chip embedded in the passport cover and all the data encoded. At some airports you can already just wave your passport near the machine reader and get a quick greenlight/beep; no need to stand in lines in front of an immigration officer and answer questions.

Okay Cathy I gotta ask, "new chip thing"? :confused:

When I changed my name on my passport last year, they said all the new ones included some kind of 'readable chip' even beyond the barcode-type info. I guess they can 'scan' your passport and read all the info about you. Of course, they said this was being phased in because the 'readers' are not everywhere yet (international airports, etc.), but they were planning ahead for the new 2007 requirements.

So it's not just a passport it's a gadget.

Well if someone would've mentioned this earlier a lot more people would be getting their passports sooner.

Well some of us guys anyway. :D

roflmao Mike you have a great future in Marketing if you want one!

Archived