Muster Station Confusion for HC or Scooter Users

CruizinSusan70

In doing our research for our cruise on the Meraviglia, we found out that MSC is currently doing things a bit differently than their competitors on this side of the pond.  

Everyone needs to watch a video in their stateroom about the same time and after watching it, enter a code via their cabin phone and then everyone goes to their muster station at the same time.  But at this time the elevators are supposedly shut down.  If this is the case, then how does someone get from point A to point B in a scooter drop down X number of floors to go from their cabin to their muster station.

Post COVID we have been on Carnival, Royal, NCL, Princess and Celebrity and none of them do it this way.  I will assume it's just another of the various differences between a US based versus European based cruise line.  But even the most loyal MSC cruiser can't convince me that this method is better than the procedures currently in place by the 5 US based lines.

So, does my DH take my card and walk the steps to our muster station, or is there a single dedicated elevator or two for those in scooters.  If there is, it will be a cluster you know what.  I've seen YouTube videos and we are not looking forward to what will transpire on Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn.  With our luck we'll get stuck on an elevator post drill with YC members that will wave their magic band and we'll whisk right past our floor so that they can get to the Top Sail Lounge as quick as possible to grab a drink. 🍸🍷🥃

I was wondering if the intention is to clearly identify those who cannot make it to the muster stations without using the elevators?

In a real emergency with the elevators out of action it would be necessary to provide additional help for those guests so useful to know who they are in advance...

I know the muster drill on other lines like Celebrity is very easy and quick to complete, but I have wondered how well it actually prepares guests for the reality of getting to the boat deck without elevators...

Edited by Mark_T

Indeed you should identify yourself to MSC as being in need of help (as in unable to walk stairs even if this means you will drown or be burned in a real emergency)   There will be dedicated staff assigned to the task of getting you out of the cabin and to safe you.

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

So, does my DH take my card and walk the steps to our muster station, or is there a single dedicated elevator or two for those in scooters.

During our last muster drill, we were quick to depart Yacht Club and head down the 10 flights to our assigned place. There were virtually no other passengers on the stairs at the time we were. We did see the crew at each elevator bank; they were there to make sure that no one used the elevators during muster. On our way back up, the same crew saw us fighting against all the people still heading down. By the time we got maybe 5 decks up, the crew who saw us head down initially said something like, "Here, you can take the elevator back." We said, "Really?" and thanked them. Conclusion -- the elevators are functional during muster and the crew has discretion to allow their use. Talk to the crew on your deck and figure out something that works. 🙂

When the drill is going on, just go up to one of the vest-wearing crew and state you can't use the stairs what is the procedure?

I'm sure there is a procedure like a spot on every deck to assemble those that need assistance as required by SOLAS.

If MSC belongs to CLIA see this: https://cruising.org/en/about-the-industry/policy-priorities/cruise-ship-accessibility-for-persons-with-disabilities

In 2010, the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) published regulations that provide for practices and procedures for transportation of individuals with disabilities on passenger vessels in the United States, including non-U.S. flagged cruise ships that embark or disembark passengers in a U.S. port. 

On 7/14/2023 at 1:48 AM, CruizinSusan70 said:

With our luck we'll get stuck on an elevator post drill with YC members that will wave their magic band and we'll whisk right past our floor so that they can get to the Top Sail Lounge as quick as possible to grab a drink. 🍸🍷🥃

Or maybe they’ll give you an express ride to wherever you like. No need to assume!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knicks1130 said:

If you paid what YC folks paid, you would want to do the same thing…lol

I did - and was happy to help out folks who looked like they had trouble standing/getting around or were waiting a while as they got in with me. (Also the "what YC folks paid" being some sort of impressive sum is a bit of a myth - when you break down the values or take advantage of upgrades, etc.)

• Like 1

They did in fact have the elevators shut down.  As soon as we hung up the phone after watching the safety video, my DH walked down from our stateroom on deck 8, which was the closest cabin to  the rear set of elevators, to our muster station D, which was on deck six.  He took both of our cards, got them swiped and was back in the cabin in about 5 minutes.  Over the next half hour there were constant reminders from the CD for people to report to their muster station and if they did not do so would be relegated to going through the procedure on Monday morning.

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

They did in fact have the elevators shut down.  As soon as we hung up the phone after watching the safety video, my DH walked down from our stateroom on deck 8, which was the closest cabin to  the rear set of elevators, to our muster station D, which was on deck six.  He took both of our cards, got them swiped and was back in the cabin in about 5 minutes.  Over the next half hour there were constant reminders from the CD for people to report to their muster station and if they did not do so would be relegated to going through the procedure on Monday morning.

Just curious, but in the event of a real emergency with no elevator access have you been told exactly how they will handle your evacuation, and if not, are you confident that they are aware of your need in that regard?

Edited by Mark_T

24 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Just curious, but in the event of a real emergency with no elevator access have you been told exactly how they will handle your evacuation, and if not, are you confident that they are aware of your need in that regard?

That is 100% not what SOLAS muster drill is about and probably violated numerous US regulations. Then again look at the Costa Concordia and when push came to shove (as in off the ship litterly) they had a terrible evacuation. 

Our office evacuation plan addresses anyone needing assistance with assembly points and designated searchers. I doubt cabins are even searched during the current drill on MSC. Pre-Covid I've seen red tags in cabin door card slots to show the cabin has been searched by the assigned steward. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

You have got to be kidding.  Post Covid we have cruised on MSC, NCL, RCI, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.  At no point have any of these lines informed us as to specific procedures that would occur in the event of a real emergency in order for us to safely get to our muster stations since I am confined to a scooter 100% of the time on board with the exception of using a walker in our cabin.  If we had to use the steps to go down multiple decks it would be doable but at a snails pace while my DH would be blocking anybody from stumbling into me with his girth.   It would definitely not be a situation that we would like to enter into.  

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Just by way of comparison here is the P&O explanation of procedures and notification requirements...

image.thumb.png.8da3bda9d3f3728374d1e903e30c3a75.png

Since we stay in a HC cabin, each cruise line should already know that we would need assistance by transferring me from my scooter to either a wheelchair or evacuation chair (whatever that is).  God forbid we ever need to go through this procedure.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Since we stay in a HC cabin, each cruise line should already know that we would need assistance by transferring me from my scooter to either a wheelchair or evacuation chair (whatever that is).  God forbid we ever need to go through this procedure.

Clearly never a situation any of us wish to be in, but I have become increasingly concerned in recent years that as the 'muster drill' has changed to become easier and quicker to complete it does seem to have lost many elements that could contribute to a safer outcome in a real emergency...

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Clearly never a situation any of us wish to be in, but I have become increasingly concerned in recent years that as the 'muster drill' has changed to become easier and quicker to complete it does seem to have lost many elements that could contribute to a safer outcome in a real emergency...

Over the years we have been through many different incarnations of what constitutes the muster drill.  At least it's not how it was 25+ years ago, with everyone standing shoulder to shoulder four deep adjacent to the lifeboats wearing their vests.  Saw many a senior faint from heat exhaustion back in the day. 😱

3 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Over the years we have been through many different incarnations of what constitutes the muster drill.  At least it's not how it was 25+ years ago, with everyone standing shoulder to shoulder four deep adjacent to the lifeboats wearing their vests.  Saw many a senior faint from heat exhaustion back in the day. 😱

If I were in your position, I would make it a point to ask what the procedure is so you know what to expect in the unlikely event that the need should ever arise. Guest services should be able to answer this question. If guest services can't assist, I would keep asking even if you have to escalate to ship's safety officer. Your life is priceless.

I found this MSC page regard Special Needs, unfortunately it doesn't offer much applicable information to this thread. Also, here is a page from Safety4Sea which I interpret as each ship having its own idiosyncrasy and it comes down to communication between Passenger and Ship. 

If memory serves, my training prior to working at NCL years ago had us transfer the passenger to a wheel chair and four crew members would carry the passenger down the stairs, one on each corner. I would imagine MSC does similar or has a stair rail system as mentioned in the Safety4Sea article above.

Agree, this beats the sweltering lineups on the promenade.

• Like 2

My best advice would be to inform MSC not only on board but at least two weeks prior to the cruise about your special need, as they request.

For real emergencies they assign staff to assist individuals who are really unable to make their way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

I would not expect that. Non HC people do travel in HC rooms. I had a friend who won an upgrade to YC and it was an HC cabin. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 8:29 AM, Brighton Line said:

I would not expect that. Non HC people do travel in HC rooms. I had a friend who won an upgrade to YC and it was an HC cabin. 

Yes, there are people who unscrupulously book themselves into a HC room even though they really don't need the space because of a scooter or wheelchair.  And like you said if there are HC rooms left to be assigned, then MSC will obviously assign them to those who booked Bella or won an upgrade.  But at the same time, they should know the difference between those who booked those cabins needing those cabins versus those that got them assigned.

12 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Yes, there are people who unscrupulously book themselves into a HC room even though they really don't need the space because of a scooter or wheelchair.  And like you said if there are HC rooms left to be assigned, then MSC will obviously assign them to those who booked Bella or won an upgrade.  But at the same time, they should know the difference between those who booked those cabins needing those cabins versus those that got them assigned.

Prior to boarding, they would only know what you complete on the Special Needs form (typically required when booking a physically challenged room).  On that form, you indicate what assistance you need in boarding and/or while on board.  To your point, MSC trusts what you enter, so if a person is "unscrupulous", as you say, then that is the information the crew goes by.  And, of course, a person who does not use a wheelchair can still require assistance navigating the ship.

Edited by JAGR