Alexa on board ?

FannyLiz

I rely fairly heavily on my Amazon Alexa at home and I’d like to bring a device with me on my maiden cruise in November.  Is the internet on Spirit of Discovery good enough to run it and is it always on or does it need signing into before each period of use ?

Probably not - WiFi on board relies on satellite, which varies dramatically depending where you are, and how many other people are using it,so the internet ranges from acceptable to glacial, more commonly towards the glacial end.

Saga also specify that (I quote from the Today programme on Discovery in June):

"We are also unable to offer connection to video calling facilities such as Skype and and Face Time, and sites such as Instagram, Twitter and You Tube due to the high bandwidth required".

I suspect Alexa would be included in the not-acceptable list.

Added:

I signed into the wifi at the beginning of the cruise and did not have to sign in again.

I closed my wifi down each time I had finished using it, both to stop my device trying to update anything, and also for security; when I turned the wifi back on, it automatically connected to the ship wifi.

Edited by nosapphire
forgot a bit
  • Like 1

Thank you both. I suspected that wifi would not be good enough to operate Alexa without frustation but lived in hope !  It looks like she will not be coming with me and a lot of get-arounds will instead.