Noordam - 14 day Japan - 10/13/2024; Haven't been on HAL since 1996

junglejane

We're currently booked on NCL for a Japan cruise in October 2024. We were originally booked on the NCL Sun but NCL has emailed us that they are changing the cruise to the NCL Spirit. We have no major problem with the ship change, but we've started looking at the alternatives, which are the Celebrity Millenium and HAL Noordam. The Millenium cruise has a lot of sea days and pricing is relatively high. So we are checking out the Noordam and the pricing seems attractive. The suites on the Noordam are priced about the same as balconies on the NCL Spirit. We haven't been on HAL since 1996 when we were on the Ryndam. Please share any feedback about the Noordam. And if you have any feedback about the Japan cruise, please share that as well.

Jane,

I took HAL's Westerdam to Japan this Spring, one of the first cruises back there after COVID. The food was excellent, even some nights had Asian themes in the Lido buffet, so we enjoyed that rather than the MDR. The Shore Excursions were wonderful! The man eho owned the company was in every port assuring we were taken care of at the pier. In 2 weeks he only had days off while we were calling in Korea. It was a magical trip, though the castles were a lot of stairs. I had to change my excursions after the first two nearly killed my knees. I sailed the Noordam in Australia, and liked it very much. No dedicated Rock Room or BB Kings, but they rotated in the Queen's lounge for performances and dancing. 

• Like 1

We had an aft Neptune Suite on Noordam for a 34-day transpacific crossing last October/November.  We enjoyed the ship so much, we're booked on it for another cruise this coming November.  HAL is noted for exceptional service from the crew and this was no exception, especially our room stewards, main dining room waiters, and room service.  The food in the main dining room was great.  We only ate in the Lido for lunch, but it was also good.

Noordam is an older, smaller ship and is showing its age in places, but that didn't negatively affect our enjoyment.  We loved the classical music on the Lincoln stage, but that appears to have gone away in favor of an occasional classical concert on the main stage.  We thought the overall entertainment on the main stage was mediocre, at best.  We were also disappointed by the piano lounge, but the rock-n-roll stage was good.

If I were looking at your choices, I would choose based on itinerary and ship size (I like smaller ships).  I think the key is to figure out your own priorities and chose the cruise that matches most closely.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your future cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Noordam last November for the 35 day circumnavigation navigation of Australia and fully agree with the post from sciencewonk. We were also in a Neptune suite and absolutely loved it. The staff were possibly the best we have had on our five cruises with Hal.

Early on we enjoyed the entertainment but after week three we were starting to get repeats so didn’t end up stopping at the Rolling Stone lounge or piano bar as often.

We would gladly sail on her again. 

• Thanks 1