SEATAC construction - what the heck?

RicoRoxy

Cruising to AK in late August. Both Seatac hotels booked so far have cancelled their shuttle services (YES, everyone should follow up!). Have now learned that there is long-term construction at Seatac which is likely inhibiting/affecting the shuttle services. Arrive on Delta at 9pm on a Friday night and just want an easy Marriot or Hilton property near the airport, with shuttle if possible. Been before-stayed at Marriott Seatac. Are there any locals who have the 411 on the construction issues and/or effect on shuttle services?  Thank you in advance!

it feel like the renovations ( which are extensive) have been going on for quite some time.  The arrivals level roadway where shuttles arrive have felt very crowded recently, they are, over all, always crowded.  The airport has become so amazingly busy.  Cruise port days it is very noticeable.  If the hotels says they are  shutting down their service , or perhaps cutting back, then you may wish to reconsider your arrangements.  While I hate a long journey on a late arrival, taking the Light Rail downtown ( westlake station) and having a room there may make your life a little bit easier for 30 minutes bother.  All the major hotel chains represented.  

I regularly have to wait for the parking garage shuttle and some days it is easily over 10 minutes.  Unfortunately waking out of the airport is not the most clear cut of options.  I am not really sure how to do it, I have never looked for the route.  I suspect you would have to walk out to the Light Rail platform and take the elevator down

• Like 1

That is a good thing then, good that you checked in with them..  I have a flight out tomorrow.  Every month it seems there is something new.  KIRO radio stays on top of the big infrastructure info on their morning radio show ( traffic) so you can have a listen.

Our airport is now too small for the capacity it needs. The state tried to float another local airport to be built south of SEA but it was rejected because no one wanted it in their backyard. Thus, the never ending construction in SEA 🙂 

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn and it was clean and convenient and close if they're still doing schedules. Alternatively, you can take the Wallypark garage shuttle and walk across the street to a Doubletree or a La Quinta. 

This is also a good reminder for anyone reading who asks "can I make an early flight?" This summer we have some of the highest passenger traffic ever. Construction is bad, and traffic is bad. Please reconsider- nothing worse than ruining a weeks worth of relaxation with missing your flight home! Flights are flying full, and Seattle doesn't have any other airports to help with the capacity (like going on an LGA flight if your JFK flight is cancelled). 

As a local, I'm not planning any flights until the end of September. Take that as you will 🙂

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 2

Flew out this morning.  North end of the shuttle and van driveway is shut off and under construction.  Some of the stops have moved, but the stop for Alaska and Delta appear to be the same.  The busier stops further along the drive are still open and busy.  I could not see out to the arrivals passenger driveway.  The departure driveway was backed wayyyyyyy up at 430am.  Not sure why those folks don't use the arrrivals driveway.

Thank you all for the very good feedback, general observations and recommendations.  We arrive in 4 weeks so I will continue to follow up with the 2 hotels I have currently booked.  And notably, we depart on a Saturday afternoon flight and will be sure to give ourselves plenty of time to get dropped off & checked in.  

Does any of this have any effect on getting an Uber or Lyft?

We originally booked an airport hotel and, for other reasons, ended up moving the reservation to the Fairfield Inn in Downtown (Seattle Center area).  Our plan now is to grab an Uber/Lyft from Airport to hotel (arriving Sunday, August 20, 11:00 am--Alaska Airlines), then, Monday morning, grabbing a quick Uber/Lyft for the short 2.9 mile ride to Pier 91 ...

Is it easy enough, under current conditions, to get a rideshare from Alaska airlines arrivals?  If not, what alternatives would you suggest?

No the Uber Lyft drivers have their own area inside the parking levels in the garage,  It is just inside the garage from the outer driveway that the shuttles use,  There are signs to direct you.  There should be no issue.

I transited out of SEA yesterday evening using a shuttle van to get to the parking garage off property.  Driver said his circuit from garage to pick up back to garage takes him 8 minutes at most

The arrivals area was busy but everything appeared to be flowing nicely.

• Thanks 1