Mumbai on your own by foot or public transportation

Wayfairers

Our cruise is in Mumbai 2 days.  We have a tour scheduled one day and trying to decide what to do the 2nd day.  This is our 2nd visit to Mumbai.  I am thinking about doing our own walking tour or publish transportation tour but just starting to look at options.  Has anyone done that?  Would you mind sharing what you did?

20 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Our cruise is in Mumbai 2 days.  We have a tour scheduled one day and trying to decide what to do the 2nd day.  This is our 2nd visit to Mumbai.  I am thinking about doing our own walking tour or publish transportation tour but just starting to look at options.  Has anyone done that?  Would you mind sharing what you did?

I would do the walking tour.  It will be very hot, so be aware of that.  The Stanley Market is very interesting and bustling.  Or do a tour out to the Elephanta Caves in the bay.  Long day but worth it.  

10 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

I would do the walking tour.  It will be very hot, so be aware of that.  The Stanley Market is very interesting and bustling.  Or do a tour out to the Elephanta Caves in the bay.  Long day but worth it.  

The tour we are taking while there is to Kanheri Caves - one set of caves is enough in one visit for us.  I remember how hot it was there.  We like taking the train in Mumbai - publish transportation tour should have been public transportation tour. 

I’ll check out Stanley market - don’t remember that from our other visit.  Any other ideas?

7 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

The tour we are taking while there is to Kanheri Caves - one set of caves is enough in one visit for us.  I remember how hot it was there.  We like taking the train in Mumbai - publish transportation tour should have been public transportation tour. 

I’ll check out Stanley market - don’t remember that from our other visit.  Any other ideas?

I'm sorry, it was the Crawford Market, not Stanley.  

I suggest a tour of Dharavi, the "largest slum in Asia".  I was very leery at first, but we were so happy we went there.  It was fascinating.  It may be a slum but everyone is working hard to make a living.

Bill

16 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

I'm sorry, it was the Crawford Market, not Stanley.  

I suggest a tour of Dharavi, the "largest slum in Asia".  I was very leery at first, but we were so happy we went there.  It was fascinating.  It may be a slum but everyone is working hard to make a living.

Bill

Thanks.  We did Dharavi last time we were in Mumbai - I agree it was worth seeing.  I thought it was great how they are doing a job no one else wants to do and doing it well.

15 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Thanks.  We did Dharavi last time we were in Mumbai - I agree it was worth seeing.  I thought it was great how they are doing a job no one else wants to do and doing it well.

Well, I have no other suggestions.  Are you on the Oceania Riviera in January 2024?  We are flying into Mumbai on Jan. 4/5, resting the fifth, nothing on the 6th at this time, doing the Elephanta Caves on the 7th, and boarding on the 8th.  We will be staying at the Taj Mahal Hotel. 

If you think of something to do, let me know.  Can you provide details of the public transportation/train tour?  Thanks

Bill

5 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Well, I have no other suggestions.  Are you on the Oceania Riviera in January 2024?  We are flying into Mumbai on Jan. 4/5, resting the fifth, nothing on the 6th at this time, doing the Elephanta Caves on the 7th, and boarding on the 8th.  We will be staying at the Taj Mahal Hotel. 

If you think of something to do, let me know.  Can you provide details of the public transportation/train tour?  Thanks

Bill

We are on the HAL World cruise.  We had fun just walking around Mumbai last time we were there. 

15 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

We are on the HAL World cruise.  We had fun just walking around Mumbai last time we were there. 

I'm afraid I would get lost if I just decided to walk around.  LOL  Enjoy your cruise!