Is Seabourn for us?

santrah

28 minutes ago, imescaping said:

We would love to do it again but it was definitely a budget stretch for us.

I get it completely. They are not cheap but despite all the complaints you read on this forum I think they are worth the money but only if you can afford it. Do the lottery, someone has to win😁. Congratulations on your anniversaries. 

On 8/3/2023 at 4:26 AM, caviarforme said:

I also always wear a jacket in the MDR - your husband is a man after my own heart. SB cruising is also about style, but relaxed style. As a rapidly ageing Englishman - style comes with standards!

My husband always wears a jacket in the Restaurant and in the TK Grill.  We have found that many men do.  

• Like 1

I just back from my very first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey to Alaska, and I was extremely worried that I wouldn't fit in.at all. I'm very laid back, more middle than upper class, and while I do like to dress up nicely in the evening, during the day I like to be comfortably casual. I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that I had absolutely nothing to be worried about. I met the nicest, most friendly group of passengers and the crew were hands down the best crew I've ever come across on a cruise. We did dress up on formal night, with my BF wearing a tux and me wearing an evening gown, but not everyone was dressed like that. For our dinner at the TK Grill, my BF did not wear a jacket and the hostess even made it a point to tell us it wasn't required when we were making our reservation. Many of the men we saw weren't wearing one either. As for dinner in The Restaurant, most men didn't wear jackets there either. Maybe it was because it was a more relaxed environment being a cruise to Alaska or maybe it's because they just didn't feel like packing them. My BF wore exactly what your husband wears (collared shirt and nice pants) and he fit right in with everyone else. The moral of the story is that I worried for nothing and we had the most amazing time. 

• Like 11

On 8/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, imescaping said:

I am not familiar with the Mediterranean, but on Ovation last week we were supposed to tender just outside the harbor in Heimaey Islands, but the seas were not smooth enough for the tenders. The captain was able to arrange tendering inside the harbor. I guess what I am saying is they will do their best. 

Also, that was our first Seabourn cruise and we don’t really fit Seabourn’s “usuall” passenger demographic. We had many of the same questions and concerns as you. We had a wonderful time found the other guests friendly, inclusive and welcoming. We didn’t bring formal attire and would have had a wonderful dinner in the Colonnade, except the seas were very rough and my husband had to excuse himself halfway through dinner. I finished dinner on my own and took dessert back to my room. 

Earth and Ocean was closed a lot on our cruise due to weather, so we weren’t able to experience it, but I think that would be less likely in the Mediterranean. 

(I have never sailed Azamara so can’t compare) 

That was an amazing location they (apparently first officer Fran, based on some inside info) put the ship in and held it steady all day as could not drop the anchor. Rather that location than the intown dock.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:52 PM, melissab723 said:

I just back from my very first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey to Alaska, and I was extremely worried that I wouldn't fit in.at all. I'm very laid back, more middle than upper class, and while I do like to dress up nicely in the evening, during the day I like to be comfortably casual. I was more than pleasantly surprised to see that I had absolutely nothing to be worried about. I met the nicest, most friendly group of passengers and the crew were hands down the best crew I've ever come across on a cruise. We did dress up on formal night, with my BF wearing a tux and me wearing an evening gown, but not everyone was dressed like that. For our dinner at the TK Grill, my BF did not wear a jacket and the hostess even made it a point to tell us it wasn't required when we were making our reservation. Many of the men we saw weren't wearing one either. As for dinner in The Restaurant, most men didn't wear jackets there either. Maybe it was because it was a more relaxed environment being a cruise to Alaska or maybe it's because they just didn't feel like packing them. My BF wore exactly what your husband wears (collared shirt and nice pants) and he fit right in with everyone else. The moral of the story is that I worried for nothing and we had the most amazing time. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread.   So very helpful. 

• Like 1