What if we miss the boat?

DawnfromMinny

Orbitz told me told contact the airline ... Which I did .... They said I could not change flights, because I received a "special" airfare going through Carnival. We paid $566 per person for airfare. Not sure how "special" that was!!!!!

GAWD ! ! They got you coming and going. That's unconscionable ! ! I fly LAX to east coast(Orlando and NYC) for$210 a year ago, and $246 about 8 months ago. These aren't great times either. Red-eye flights leaving LAX around 10:30 arriving in Orlando or JFK in New York around 6:00am.:)

Next time book your own flight, save a ton of money and go a day early (or at least get a much earlier flight) and relax in a hotel, I don't because I usually can't,"red-eyes" give me a lot of time leeway, and no weather problems out of Southern California. :)

The good news -- as you heard -- is that the port is reallyreally close to the airport. You can get over there really quickly. We just went on the Liberty and got to the port around 2:30 and there was NO ONE waiting... we didn't have to wait on one line. So if you're plane is on time, should be smooth sailing :) (and you'll be ready for the Drink of the Day or two because of all the stress).

On the other side of the coin, I hope your luggage makes it. Last year, one of our pieces didn't make it with us... I was glad we got to Florida 2 days early for some R & R (it was a big family cruise, we needed R & R before we met up with everyone!). Gave the airline an extra day for them to have our luggage catch up with us.

But, for more good news.... you'll have a great time on the Liberty. John, the cruise director is great... and if you do miss the ship on Day 1, you are likely to hear about it from him in one of his shows!

I asked if they would/could change it and they said "no". They didn't say, "for $90 more, we could change it". I would have definitely taken that option.

I also called Carnival directly. They told me to deal with Orbitz. So, now I'm on hold with a different agent from Orbitz.

I'm still curious on what happens if we miss the ship.

You will hvae to fly to the first port at your own expense.

We paid $566 per person for airfare. Not sure how "special" that was!!!!!

:eek: <cHokE> *GULP*

OMG! That makes me ILL!! I am so sorry that you are getting the shaft like this!!! You got a "special" price, that is for sure!!

I booked my airfare back in August, non-stop for 5 people, for $220 per person...tax included! :o And we're even on an airline that still feeds you for "free."

:eek: <cHokE> *GULP*

OMG! That makes me ILL!! I am so sorry that you are getting the shaft like this!!! You got a "special" price, that is for sure!!

I booked my airfare back in August, non-stop for 5 people, for $220 per person...tax included! :o And we're even on an airline that still feeds you for "free."

After seaching for flights out the day before, I actually feel fortunate that I got that rate. The rates now are $800+. I will definitely book my own air fare from now on.

Have a great time on your cruise! I plan to!! :cool:

I always book my own travel and go in a day early. I like to arrive at the ship in a calm way and not be frazzled. There are certain things that I have to have control over and that is one of them. The scary thing here is there seems to be so many people involved in the flights. Carnival/Orbitz/Airline!! Yikes. To many hands in the cookie jar for me. Next time cut out all middlemen and make your own flight arrangements. I wish you much luck!!

We were on the Miracle 2/19. We were supposed to depart at 4, but it was pushed back to 8 for just this reason: a lot of folks who booked through Carnival ended up on late flights.

Because of the delayed departure, many people made the ship when they would have missed it with the original departure time. They had a special muster drill the 1st morning at sea for the late arrivals.

That said, there were people at the tender dock in Grand Cayman (our 1st port) with luggage in tow. Maybe they weren't on Carnival flights, though.

Hope you are on board well in advance of the muster drill, and that sailaway is awesome! Good luck!!

We were on the Miracle 2/19. We were supposed to depart at 4, but it was pushed back to 8 for just this reason: a lot of folks who booked through Carnival ended up on late flights.

Because of the delayed departure, many people made the ship when they would have missed it with the original departure time. They had a special muster drill the 1st morning at sea for the late arrivals.

That said, there were people at the tender dock in Grand Cayman (our 1st port) with luggage in tow. Maybe they weren't on Carnival flights, though.

Hope you are on board well in advance of the muster drill, and that sailaway is awesome! Good luck!!

What great news! Thank you sooo much for your posting. This is the best news I've heard since receiving our documents.

I've decided NOT to worry about this - Considering there isn't anything I can do about it. :D

Archived