In Ocho Rios

BAHAMAMOM

JUST WANTED TO LET EVERYONE IN A TIDBIT OF ADVICE WHEN VISITING OCHO RIOS JAMAICA...IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY THE ENTRANCE FEE TO GO TO THE FALLS BUT A CAB DRIVER TELLS YOU THAT HE CAN TAKE YOU TO THE FALLS WHERE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO VIEW WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY ADMISSION FEE...BEWARE!! WE WILL NEVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN AS WE WERE NAIVE TO THE FACT THAT FROM THE PIER IT WAS NOT FAR TO GET TO DUNN'S RIVER FALLS...A CAB DRIVER TOLD US THERE AND BACK TO THE PIER HE WOULD CHARGE 20 DOLLARS BUT THAT WE COULD GET OUT AND LOOK AT THE FALLS ETC...NOT WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE..I ENVISIONED BEING ABLE TO SEE THE BEAUTIFUL FALLS..WHAT HAPPENED IS HE TOOK US TO A TRAP..SURE THROUGH ALL FENCED IN STUFF WHICH THEY HAVE NOW OF WHICH MY HUSBAND WAS UNAWARE SINCE HIS LAST VISIT WHERE YOU USE TO BE ABLE TO GET OUT AND REALLY LOOK AT THE FALLS..THE CAB DRIVER TOOK US UP INTO THIS BAR TYPE AREA THAT OVERLOOKED WHERE THE PEOPLE WERE FIRST STARTING THEIR CLIMB...WE WERE BOMBARDED WITH JAMAICANS TRYING TO SELL US EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN..WOULD NOT GIVE UP..NO WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE AS THEY TRIED EVERY APPROACH TO GET US TO BUY AND SOME ACTUALLY SEEMED TO GET MAD THAT WE WOUD NOT PURCHASE..IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO PAY THE ENTRANCE FEE DO NOT EVEN BOTHER...IT WAS A RIPOFF AND A TOTAL PAIN AND PRAYED TO GET OUT OF THERE...WE HEADED TO MARGARITAVILLE AFTER BEING RIPPED OF 20 DOLLARS THAT THEY CAB DRIVER TOOK US FOR...IT WAS A TOTAL TRAP...MARGARITAVILLE MADE UP FOR MAKING THE REST OF THE DAY ENJOYABLE BUT DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO LET A CAB DRIVER TELL YOU HE CAN TAKE YOU TO THE FALLS IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO CLIM THEM...:eek:

We just got back on 3/19. We also hired a cab. Nice guy, named J.J. We paid him Thirty dollars for the same thing, plus an hour or so tour of the area. He even showed us his house.

Than he dropped us off at a free beach, picked us up when we asked and took us to the shopping area.

A perfect day.

As for the view of the Falls, well....it wasn't much of a view. I didn't even take a picture. I didn't feel too pressured to buy something though. They took no for an answer.

I went to Ocho Rios on a carnival cruise. We didnt book any excursions from the boat. Once going into the gated area to seek a taxi, we were approached by a woman, kind of like a tour guide information person, who asked us what we wanted to do. We still wasnt sure where we wanted to go but we did know that we wanted to go to a beach and then shopping. She introduced us to a taxi/tour driver from Marc's tours who told us about "Sea Grape" beach, has water sports and activities. So off we went with him and another couple who went with us after over hearing our convo. We were pleasantly surprised. This was a secluded, free, clean beach! It had jetski's which all four of us played on, they had tubbing, catamaran's<sp>, food and drinks. The people were very nice, not pushy at all. We were told not to pay any prices that the Jamaicans offer for anything so when they wanted to charge $60 for the jetski's for 1/2 we told them that all we could pay was $40...done deal! They were very accomodating. And ladies they had a "bathroom" to change in but bring someone to watch out for you cause its kind of off the beaten path. Marc came back to get us at our requested time. We then went shopping, every girls pleasure, we didnt want to carry our beach bags shopping with us so we asked him if we could leave em in his van, no problem! It really wasnt because he came back with them and everything was there! So shopping...:p this was such an adventure! I found it to be fun and I must say that I always was thinking I was getting something for nothing when they took my offer for whatever. Dont back down, start to walk away and they will meet your price. :rolleyes: I have never said "no thank you, Im all set" so many times in my life as I did during that adventure. Yes they are pushy but it was so fun! Nothing more than the street people begging for a nickle on a corner. And oh ya, if you walk away and they dont give you what u wanted for that price trust and believe that it will be in the next "store". Marc came back to get us on the time and took us to the ship with no problem. This man was kind, informative and humourous! He was also pretty "Americanized" as well which made it very easy to understand him. So if you go to Ocho Rios, ask for Marc from MarcTours.com and tell him the "crazy girl from Boston" sent you! Ya Mon! :D

Archived