Juneau Salmon bake and waterfall

roupa

27 minutes ago, roupa said:

Looking for Experience/opinions of the Gold Creek Salmon bake and Salmon Waterfall viewing access.

Looks like a relaxing experience in a scenic setting in the port of Juneau.

I think I saw some videos on Youtube about this when I was trying to find information on Taku Lodge.

We just did it this past week, with our two kids, and it was wonderful. We did an excursion that brought us to pan for gold first, and then to the salmon bake. You can stay as long as you like (well, until they close or your ship leaves!) at the salmon bake, as they are constantly running buses back to downtown. Our guide said most people stay for an hour or an hour and a half, but we stayed probably 3+ hours. The food was solid - not to die for, but solid, and plenty of it. We appreciated that they had hot apple cider, tea, and coffee available, as well as lemonade and water (plus beer for purchase). After we ate, we walked down the waterfall and enjoyed watching the salmon run and looking at the old mining equipment. Then we tried our hand at panning for gold there - on the gold panning earlier in our excursion, the pans were "salted" with gold so that everyone was guaranteed to find something, but here, they just have equipment available and no salted paydirt, so while we didn't find any gold here, it was still fun. Next we roasted marshmallows on one of their campfires and enjoyed listening to the live music. We finished off with picking wild blueberries that my daughter loved eating. Even though it drizzled basically all day, it was a great time in a beautiful area and much of the salmon bake's area is under cover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1