Charleston Embarkation and Debarkation

mantle

Stayed at the Sleep inn in West Ashley - nice place, good breakfast, free wifi, free parking, elevator (4 floors) and price was good - I took the prepay rate - $102.52 for room with 2 queen beds on quite 4th floor. Drive to port -Maybe total of 5 miles - 10 or 15 minutes  

The parking lot is at intersection of Laurens and Concord St. Good street address to use would be 2 Laurens St

However having read somewhere that depending on when parking lot opens the line to get in forms on Lauren St and then on Washington St so I went to Washington St via Calhoun St (put in 333 Calhoun St) and make an immediate right turn onto Washington St - take it down to Laurens and make left.

My directs from Sleep Inn Charleston, West Ashley - 1524 Savannah Hwy-US17 S

Make left out of Sleep Inn

3 miles and use right lanes onto Lockwood Dr

1/2 mile and left on to Calhoun street - continue to 333 Calhoun St and make right onto Washington and than left onto Lauren

Embarkation

We had arrival time at port of 9:30-10 (2 cars)

Left hotel about 9:15

Lot gate was open (no line on Lauren or Washington) . Proceeded into lot and 4 lines -maybe 15 cars in the 1st 3 lines but nobody on 4th so we wen on line 4 and were 1st two cars when they realized that line was supposed to be shut off by cones which they did after seeing us but said we were OK.

This is where they come up to your window and pay with credit card - $105 for 5 night cruise. Waited till probably 10 (maybe 9:45) for us to be directed to place where you unload your luggage. Then we were directed to park - We were part of about 15 cars that were directed to wrap along the fence- in parking lot across from an apartment or condo complex - furthest point in parking lot from ship. Cars after our group went in normal parking spaces next to us - so earlier you get into parking lot, the further you have to walk. 

Fortunately a tram pulled up and drove us to the 1st building where you show passport/boarding pass and license

Just as we were finished they called the 1st group which were those with premium membership etc.. We were next with Boarding # A01 and boarding a big bus

Bus took us to another location where we went through security - everything out of pockets and belt must be put in your carryon. Made my wife step aside and show scars from knee operation as security alarm went off as she walked through (screws in her knees). We had a good laugh.  

Then proceeded onto boat - deck 3

We were on ship by 10:45 (about 45 minutes from when we paid), Announced rooms were ready at 1:30

Debarkation

Our rooms were inside cabins on deck 6 and we selected to carry off our luggage

Our floor was assigned to come to 3rd floor with the last carry off group (they have about 4 decks to a group)- our announcement would be between 8 and 8:30 to go to 3rd floor

However we agreed to meet 6:45 and try and get off with 1st group of decks (time assigned 7 to 7:30)

Took front elevators down and as we got off they called deck 7 which was 1st deck called - line was short and moving quick so we went on it 

Stopped for worker and all he did was scan our sail and sign card to look at my picture and told me to move on to ramp to get off boat

Nobody checked passport and no customs. Nobody cared it wasn't our scheduled time.

Bottom of winding ramp off ship, our luggage was put in bottom of big bus and off we went to side of parking lot in middle of lot

They unloaded luggage and we walked maybe 10 minutes to car.

Our lot exit was maybe after 10 cars up along the fence

Out of parking lot about 7:45 

Overall easy process - no complaints.

• Like 1