Effect of fires in Greece and Turkey on cruising and excursions

KTRaveller

I've been concerned about the news but haven't seen anyone worried about smokey air or missed ports due to the fires raging in Greece -- including one near Athens, and in Turkey, where they stopped non-essential traffic through the Dardenelles Strait for about 48 hours it seems.  This leads into the Sea of Marmara to get to Istanbul.  I haven't heard of Viking ships missing the port though.   Has anyone found a good way to track this? Thanks

I hear your concerns. I have the same concerns regarding Tenerife. However, my biggest concern is for the people and victims of the fires. Very few, including myself give 1 iotta about excursions. I'll find out when I get there.

Edited by klfrodo

Unfortunately, some of the fires in Greece were actually caused by arsonists, and arrests have been made.  All those who are suffering, or who have perished are in my thoughts.

We cruised in Greece last month, and had a post-stay in Athens.  We took a day trip to Delphi, and the fires came up almost to the highway.  We saw the black plumes of smoke for miles. 

The fires seem to be in the more remote areas outside of the city, with lots of forests.  The strong winds also make the fires move rapidly.

Yes, it is very sad to see all of the tragedies happening this year, and so much of it is unpredictable.  I certainly understand that when one plans a vacation, sometimes years in advance, it is challenging to have to try to deal with emergencies.  Unfortunately, I think you will need to follow some of the news yourself for your specific destinations.  I am sure cruise lines do not want to lose customers, so they may make deviations in the itineraries instead of canceling. Make sure you have travel insurance, and check to see what is potentially included and what is not.  Best wishes!

• Like 1