Alaska RR-Adventure Class-carryon luggage ANC-Seward

SomewhereGirl

Hi.  Can anyone confirm if there is a luggage storage area at the end of these railcars?  I thought I read somewhere there was in Adventure class but not GoldStar.  I'm thinking about only travelling with carryon luggage, which will include a roller suitcase that I'd rather not check.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Hi.  Can anyone confirm if there is a luggage storage area at the end of these railcars? I thought I read somewhere there was in Adventure class but not GoldStar.

Yes, there is plenty of room for carry-on baggage, to be stored either in the overhead racks or at car ends. Think of a typical Amtrak coach car. It is also true that in the first class (GoldStar) car there is no baggage storage, for any overhead racks would interfere with views through the glass roof of the car. In my opinion, the coach (Adventure) class service more and better amenities than first class (GoldStar) service, among which is the ease of carrying on baggage.

3 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I have traveled in the Adventure class cars with carry on luggage. The luggage was stored at the end of the car.

There is not one single type of car used to transport coach (Adventure) class passengers. The railroad has several different types of passenger cars with somewhat different configurations. Not every car is going to have baggage storage at the ends of the car, and not every train has the same consist of cars, so there is no assurance that carry-on baggage will be stowed at car ends or elsewhere. But regardless of the particular train, there are places for carry-on baggage, except on the Ultra Dome cars used for first class (GoldStar) service and Panoramic Dome cars used for chartered cruise trains (the result of the glass roofs used).

On 9/1/2023 at 2:00 AM, GTJ said:

Yes, there is plenty of room for carry-on baggage, to be stored either in the overhead racks or at car ends. Think of a typical Amtrak coach car. It is also true that in the first class (GoldStar) car there is no baggage storage, for any overhead racks would interfere with views through the glass roof of the car. In my opinion, the coach (Adventure) class service more and better amenities than first class (GoldStar) service, among which is the ease of carrying on baggage.

If we are going to be in first class (Gold Star), where will we be able to put our luggage.  We are heading to Seward for our cruise.  Thanks.

22 minutes ago, tj_shopper said:

If we are going to be in first class (Gold Star), where will we be able to put our luggage. We are heading to Seward for our cruise.

On the floor, at your seat. if there's not many other passengers with baggage then you might be able to stash it someplace else in the car. If need be, bring it inside one of the (Adventure class) coaches, store it there, then walk back to the first class (GoldStar) car for your seat. Or check the baggage at the station in Anchorage, either for the railroad to carry it in the baggage car to the Seward railroad station, or for the cruise line have it delivered directly to your stateroom. Your baggage will get there, even if carry-on baggage service for first class (GoldStar) passengers is less convenient than for coach (Adventure) class passengers.

That first class (GoldStar) might be providing a lesser service than coach (Adventure) class on the Alaska Railroad reminds me of a trip a few years ago on Amtrak. I was traveling in business class, one of the amenities being complimentary soft drinks. However, to distinguish between the paid soft drinks provided to coach class passengers and the complimentary soft drinks provided to business class passengers, the former were the 12-ounce cans while the latter were 7½-ounce cans. When I requested a cola, the attendant explained that they were all out of cola for business class passengers, and that only Sprite, or something similar, was available. I was told that the remaining cola can were only for coach class passengers, not for business class passengers. There's a certain irony in paying extra for a "higher" class of transportation that provides less service.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GTJ said:

On the floor, at your seat. if there's not many other passengers with baggage then you might be able to stash it someplace else in the car. If need be, bring it inside one of the (Adventure class) coaches, store it there, then walk back to the first class (GoldStar) car for your seat. Or check the baggage at the station in Anchorage, either for the railroad to carry it in the baggage car to the Seward railroad station, or for the cruise line have it delivered directly to your stateroom. Your baggage will get there, even if carry-on baggage service for first class (GoldStar) passengers is less convenient than for coach (Adventure) class passengers.

That first class (GoldStar) might be providing a lesser service than coach (Adventure) class on the Alaska Railroad reminds me of a trip a few years ago on Amtrak. I was traveling in business class, one of the amenities being complimentary soft drinks. However, to distinguish between the paid soft drinks provided to coach class passengers and the complimentary soft drinks provided to business class passengers, the former were the 12-ounce cans while the latter were 7½-ounce cans. When I requested a cola, the attendant explained that they were all out of cola for business class passengers, and that only Sprite, or something similar, was available. I was told that the remaining cola can were only for coach class passengers, not for business class passengers. There's a certain irony in paying extra for a "higher" class of transportation that provides less service.

Wow!  Thanks for the info.  I don't know what to do.  I was going to purchase the Gold Star class through Alaska Railroad.  I understand we can also purchase through the cruise line but not sure which train that goes on.

Funny about your Amtrak adventure.  It really makes you wonder about common sense, doesn't it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tj_shopper said:

Wow!  Thanks for the info. I don't know what to do. I was going to purchase the Gold Star class through Alaska Railroad. I understand we can also purchase through the cruise line but not sure which train that goes on.

It is important to keep in mind that on cruise vessel days there are two trains that travel from Anchorage to Seward. Both trains are operated by the Alaska Railroad, and utilize railroad-owned cars, but the two trains are separately marketed. Be certain the train you are seeking to utilize.

The early morning train departing the downtown Anchorage station at 6:45 a.m., is marketed by the Alaska Railroad, and tickets are purchased from either the Alaska Railroad or travel agents (including, possibly, the cruise line). This is a regular passenger train with a consist that includes, for all passengers, a Vista-Dome sightseeing car, and a café car, and a baggage car; for coach (Adventure) class passengers, ordinary coach cars with carry-on baggage racks; and for first class (GoldStar) passengers, an Ultra Dome bi-level car with coach seating and open observation deck on top, and a dining room below. This train travels to the railroad station in Seward, a very short distance away from the Intermodal Terminal where cruise vessels dock, arriving at approximately 11:05 a.m.

The early afternoon train departing the Anchorage airport at approximately 1:00 p.m., is marketed by the cruise lines themselves, and tickets are purchased exclusively from the cruise lines. This is a chartered passenger train with a consist that includes, as single class service, a café car and Panorama Dome single-level coach cars. No baggage car, carry-on baggage placed on the floor at each seat. This train travels to the Intermodal Terminal where cruise vessels dock, arriving at approximately 5:30 p.m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We dId the ANC to Seward Aug 14 booked as excursion so 1st person got $50 off and second paid full excursion fare on NCL.  We checked-in at 11am at the railroad/airport terminal and received our cabin keys.  All luggage except backpack sized things were transported by truck to the cruise ship.  Each car was single level and had glass domed roof for viewing.  4 for 4 enjoyed this excursion. The train stopped at the ship and everyone went directly to the ship.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I've been on the forum and now doing research again.  There will be 7 of us taking the Coastal Classic train through Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward at 6:45 a.m. on Thursday, May 23rd.  We are spending the night in Seward and our cruise is on Friday, May 24th.  We will have lots of luggage with us and I haven't booked our hotel in Seward yet.  What do we do with our luggage on the train?  Do we keep it with us on the train?  It doesn't sound like we could.

5 hours ago, tj_shopper said:

There will be 7 of us taking the Coastal Classic train through Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward at 6:45 a.m. on Thursday, May 23rd. * * * We will have lots of luggage with us * * * What do we do with our luggage on the train?  Do we keep it with us on the train?  It doesn't sound like we could.

You have a choice. You can take your baggage with you into the coach on train, you can check your baggage and have it transported for you in the baggage car, or you can take some baggage with you and check the remainder. Formally, you can carry-on one piece of baggage per person, and check two pieces of baggage (up to 50 pounds) per person, which means your group of seven persons will not have a problem if you have no more than 21 pieces of baggage. Informally, the Alaska Railroad is generally more lax than airlines, as to what constitutes a "piece," its size and weight, and of how many pieces are transported. Think "reasonable" more so than "strict."

The ability to take all or part of your baggage with you into the coach as carry-on baggage depends to some extent on the class of service booked. If you book coach ("Adventure") class, then there is plenty of room for baggage on the overhead racks and elsewhere. If you book first class ("GoldStar") service, then your options are more limited. There are no overhead racks, and only a small amount of space under the seats for storing baggage. This is were formal baggage allowances are more critical. Nonetheless, the train crew might help in finding other niches to store carry-on baggage, or might have you store baggage in the regular coach cars. Overall, however, coach ("Adventure") class service provides better carry-on baggage facilities compared to first class ("GoldStar") service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

You have a choice. You can take your baggage with you into the coach on train, you can check your baggage and have it transported for you in the baggage car, or you can take some baggage with you and check the remainder. Formally, you can carry-on one piece of baggage per person, and check two pieces of baggage (up to 50 pounds) per person, which means your group of seven persons will not have a problem if you have no more than 21 pieces of baggage. Informally, the Alaska Railroad is generally more lax than airlines, as to what constitutes a "piece," its size and weight, and of how many pieces are transported. Think "reasonable" more so than "strict."

The ability to take all or part of your baggage with you into the coach as carry-on baggage depends to some extent on the class of service booked. If you book coach ("Adventure") class, then there is plenty of room for baggage on the overhead racks and elsewhere. If you book first class ("GoldStar") service, then your options are more limited. There are no overhead racks, and only a small amount of space under the seats for storing baggage. This is were formal baggage allowances are more critical. Nonetheless, the train crew might help in finding other niches to store carry-on baggage, or might have you store baggage in the regular coach cars. Overall, however, coach ("Adventure") class service provides better carry-on baggage facilities compared to first class ("GoldStar") service.

Thank you.  We will probably check all except our backpacks which holds passports, medicine, etc.  Nice that we can check in like airlines.  I thought we had to haul all our luggage onto the train in the car that we  sit in.  I'm glad we don't have to do that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tj_shopper said:

We will probably check all except our backpacks which holds passports, medicine, etc. Nice that we can check in like airlines. I thought we had to haul all our luggage onto the train in the car that we sit in. I'm glad we don't have to do that.

Very wise to keep passports, medicines, cash, and other valuables with you and not be checked, just as you would do for air travel. But generally, railroad travel is better than air travel because things are more informal, the rules tend to be more flexible, and the railroad people more friendly and accommodating.

When I travel by railroad, I usually prefer to keep my baggage with me, instead of checking it, because that allows me access to the baggage while enroute. When baggage is checked, it travels in the baggage car, which is inaccessible to passengers during the journey. But if one is traveling with **lots of baggage** then checking that baggage can certainly ease the travel.

Checked baggage is even better when traveling on the day of the cruise vessel departure. On those days, when checking in baggage in downtown Anchorage, instead of the baggage being sent to Seward in the railroad's baggage car, it is instead sent to Seward by truck along the parallel highway, and upon arrival in Seward the baggage is loaded onto the vessel and delivered to one's stateroom. How's that for good service?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GTJ said:

Very wise to keep passports, medicines, cash, and other valuables with you and not be checked, just as you would do for air travel. But generally, railroad travel is better than air travel because things are more informal, the rules tend to be more flexible, and the railroad people more friendly and accommodating.

When I travel by railroad, I usually prefer to keep my baggage with me, instead of checking it, because that allows me access to the baggage while enroute. When baggage is checked, it travels in the baggage car, which is inaccessible to passengers during the journey. But if one is traveling with **lots of baggage** then checking that baggage can certainly ease the travel.

Checked baggage is even better when traveling on the day of the cruise vessel departure. On those days, when checking in baggage in downtown Anchorage, instead of the baggage being sent to Seward in the railroad's baggage car, it is instead sent to Seward by truck along the parallel highway, and upon arrival in Seward the baggage is loaded onto the vessel and delivered to one's stateroom. How's that for good service?!

That is indeed great service to have your baggage sent directly to the ship.  I sort of wished we had planned better but we wanted to spend a day in Seward before cruising.  Now to figure out how to get my luggage to hotel and also take the Fjords tour.  Thanks for all your detailed explanation!

• Like 1

The early train arrives at the railroad depot in Seward.  It was a decent walk to the cruise terminal.  I was expecting the train to be closer but apparently that's only the cruise charter trains that arrive closer to the cruise terminal.  There was a shuttle for the early train but I don't know how that would've worked with luggage.  I only had a rolling carryon and walked to the cruise terminal.  The path and roads were uneven or dirt.  Had I had lots of luggage it would've been unpleasant.  Luckily the weather was nice.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 1