New to VV - Lots of Questions - Any Advice appreciated!!

jmoak

Hello all, 

Seasoned Carnival/NCL cruisers but wife and I planning to branch out and try Virgin next year and I was hoping that the experts could help me better understand a few things concerning Virgin. I've search boards a little bit but want to get some clarifications if possible. I am planning to book this weekend to get the Labor Day deal, but want to get some answers before pulling the trigger so I don't miss out on anything else that I may could get (discounts/perks/etc.)

1. Travel Agents - I have always booked on my own, however it seems like there could be some perks/advantages for booking VV through a TA.  Can you provide some of the expected perks to possibly receive?  Also, any recommendations in regards to a seasoned VV TA I could utilize to get best perks? Would want to connect with them this weekend to get booked under Labor Day deal with the drinks credit.

2. I saw some reference to a 10% pay in full discount.  Does this come up when you go through the full booking? I haven't done the booking yet so wasn't sure how/when it presented itself.  I assume can get same discount when booking through TA?

3. Match Program - Ok. My wife will be Platinum when we go on our next Carnival cruise in December.  If I understand correctly, I can book my VV cruise for next year now, and whenever she reaches platinum I then can submit info for the VV match program for DBE? Can someone confirm I am supposed to do this "after" the booking with VV but prior to the sailing? I don't have to prove it before booking? Just want to make sure on that...

Also, I won't be platinum on Carnival yet so can't match. I will be platinum on Carnival soon (but not before the VV cruise), so am I essentially forfeiting my opportunity to become DBE with match program?  Since I will sail once with VV before being platinum?  Or can you come back later an do a match?

If that is the case, then we would get the $600 for drinks and she would get the extra $100?

4. Social Inside Cabins - are these able to convert to King beds? or all twins?

5. Boarding Times - we are planning to sail out of San Juan and it says sail away is 8 pm?  What time does boarding typically begin and what is latest boarding times?  We have flight option to land at 12:30 but want to make sure that is enough time to get from airport to terminal? 

6. Restaurants/Shows - Looks like all of this is done through the app in advance? Like 45 days I think.  Are ALL restaurants included or are some an upcharge?

7. Future Cruise Credits - I think I read that you can purchase these on the cruise for other cruises, but more importantly are these transferable? I thought I saw a post that alluded to this and maybe even a TA was able to get one for someone...Just wondering if this was something that could save a little more money off the cruise? May not be able to do it and may not be worth it.  Where/who would be able to find these?

8. Any other tips for a first timer?  I appreciate any other advice that can be provided as I want to get the cruise booked this weekend but maximize the perks/savings appropriately.

Thanks in advance for all of the help. I know this community is so helpful on the other lines boards I have been on and am sure there is same support here.  Looking forward to learning more about VV!!

Jason

1.  Many TAs purchase "My Next Virgin Voyage" certificates at the time of booking and sell these to their clients.  This gets you $300 off the price of the cruise plus $600 in "loot" (onboard credit) and the $300 that the certificate costs goes toward the deposit on the cruise.  In addition, based on timing and cruise selections, some TAs can add another bit of loot if they have recently hosted a zoom event with marketing or have at least 10cabins booked for your sail date.  These layer on top of any other available discounts or perks.  We are not allowed to name TAs here, but look for one who has gold status with VV or has ranked in the top 10 VV agents in their region,

2. 10% off the cruise fare applies to cruises paid at least 180 days in advance and shows up at the end of the booking price on line.

3.  The DBE program is per cabin, not per person.  Yes, you book a cruise first, then apply for the status match.  The booking confirmation is part of the info you submit for the match.  You don't do anything before booking.  All bar tabs can be shared with the cabin, so it makes no difference which cabin member has the DBE (if only one does).  When you have the needed status, you can apply...and you will both be Sea Rovers, but you will still only get one DBE package per cabin,

5.  Since no VV ship has sailed from San Juan yet, no one knows for sure what time boarding will start or end.  From all other ports, the earliest terminal arrival time had become 2pm and the latest is something like 4 for a 6pm departure.  It is about 20 minutes from the airport to the cruise terminal in San Juan,  Do you really want to fly in on the day of the cruise?  What if your flight is delayed or canceled?

6. All restaurants are included in cruise fare and are booked 45 days in advance.  A very few menu items have an upcharge for just that item.  Don't bother with the waygu beef--the regular beef in that restaurant is better.  Shows are booked after boarding by using the app.

7. See my response to #1.  These ARE transferrable and that is how many TAs are getting you these perks.  You can buy the certificate from anyone who has one for sale---a friend who is cruising, your TA, or buy for yourself when you cruise.  Good only on Sea Terrace and above.

8. Watch YouTube videos about VV on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=where's+walter+travel  for a fully honest and accurate view of cruising on virgin.  If my link doesn't work, go to YouTube and search Where's Walter Travels and kook for his virgin videos.  No hype, just good accurate info.

• Like 2

most has been covered above

4. I think social insider is four single bunk beds. If you want a double you need a regular insider.

5. At all the current ports, earliest check in time for non-rockstar (suite) sailors is about 2pm and latest is about 4-4.30pm. I expect it will be the same in San Juan.

6. Fitness classes, activities/classes and shows can only be booked onboard. Prioritise in that order as fitness is often small groups. 

8. There are often the main big shows at 7pm and 10pm or thereabouts, so plan dinner either at 7/8 to see the 10pm show or at 8.30 to see the 7pm one. However there can often be trivia and smaller shows at 6pm so depends what you want to get up to. The line up which shows at 45 days out often only shows the major stuff. 

Allow 90 minutes for dinner most nights, Test Kitchen and Gunbae will be about 90.
On Scarlet night go to the roundabout staircase for 9pm, it’s nice to see the night kick off, then wander deck 7 for a bit as there will be small shows around.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 12:11 AM, jmoak said:

Would want to connect with them this weekend to get booked under Labor Day deal with the drinks credit.

Cantegin has answered most of your questions, this is not a Labor Day sale. The current promotion runs through all bookings made through Sept. 28. 

2. I saw some reference to a 10% pay in full discount.  Does this come up when you go through the full booking? I haven't done the booking yet so wasn't sure how/when it presented itself.  I assume can get same discount when booking through TA?

Your TA can apply this promo right up until 180 days prior to sailing. You can either pay in full at the time of booking and get this promo or simply pay the Deposit now and have your TA apply the promo prior to final payment, so long as it's 180 days before your sail date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

Your TA can apply this promo right up until 180 days prior to sailing. You can either pay in full at the time of booking and get this promo or simply pay the Deposit now and have your TA apply the promo prior to final payment, so long as it's 180 days before your sail date. 

I would not count on the above being always acceptable. The standard terms of the pay in full as as below...

image.png.484fdc6c212b4c588efc03b22c625137.png

• Thanks 1

1. Travel Agents - I have always booked on my own, however it seems like there could be some perks/advantages for booking VV through a TA.  Can you provide some of the expected perks to possibly receive?  Also, any recommendations in regards to a seasoned VV TA I could utilize to get best perks? Would want to connect with them this weekend to get booked under Labor Day deal with the drinks credit.

This is true, not only do many TAs buy the MNVV certificates are discussed by @cantgetin, those who belong to one of the big travel consortia can also add $100 sailor loot on certain sailings.  Before you ask further, the rules in Cruise Critic are very tight about TA recommendations so you won't get any recommendations in this forum.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lustate said:

I would not count on the above being always acceptable. The standard terms of the pay in full as as below...

image.png.484fdc6c212b4c588efc03b22c625137.png

Thank you for posting this. I've been amazed to read some of the comments recently about getting the 10% pay in advance discount all the way up through 180 days pre-sailing. I've always bit the bullet and paid up front on the day I book to get this discount. So I've been very confused!

Technically, they do want you to pay upfront, but travel agents have (at least for the time being) been able to go into your booking and add the 10% discount before the 180 day mark no matter when you first booked your cabin.  Of course, VV could close that loophole at any time.  

• Like 2