Excursion cancellaiton policy?

sbaker

We have a cruise booked for next June.  At this point, all we've paid is the $250 deposit.  As I've been looking at excursions, there are a few I'm quite interested in.  I hate to wait too long to book them and find that they're sold out.  If I book an excursion now, can I cancel it later and get a full refund if I find something I'd rather do or if we change our minds and don't go on this cruise? If so, what would be the deadline for cancelling the excursion and getting a full refund?

Yes, you can cancel booked excursions - unless it says otherwise (very rare).  If you cancel prior to the cruise, you get a refund.  If you cancel onboard - or within a few days of sailing - the refund is posted to your onboard account. For most excursions, the cancellation policy is 48 hours prior to arrival in the port.

One caution - if you do book something, you will no longer be able to see any other excursions that might be available for the same port/time slot. A huge flaw in their system IMHO.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sbaker said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I don't like the idea that you can't see other excursions once you book something for that day.  

I agree that's a flaw, but I think you might be able to print out a copy of all the excursions now so you have a copy of the options and then call the cruise line to ask hem to check and see what the availability is.  I'm not sure because I almost always book independent excursions, but I think that might be a good plan since I know cruise ship excursions sell out and you can cancel within 48 hours.  

Edited by kitkat343

9 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I agree that's a flaw, but I think you might be able to print out a copy of all the excursions now so you have a copy of the options and then call the cruise line to ask hem to check and see what the availability is.  I'm not sure because I almost always book independent excursions, but I think that might be a good plan since I know cruise ship excursions sell out and you can cancel within 48 hours.  

Yes, I usually print out a copy of what's available when I book. But you still would miss anything that might have been already sold out, plus they will sometimes add excursions later - so you have no way of knowing if there is something new to consider.

So I always mention the significant flaw in their design in my post-cruise survey comments. Not that they've ever listened!