Internet/WiFi on QE to Alaska

newbie202020

Hi, have never cruised with Cunard before so I was just wondering if it's cheaper to buy (premium) wifi before trip or wait until I'm on board? I was thinking of buying for the entire 10 day QE Alaska trip next summer.

Also, are there online sales I should keep my eyes out for (eg Celebrity has 35% off wifi package once in a while)? Thanks

In July I bought several days of regular and the premium on my last day. Quite honestly I didn't notice a different between the two plans. But I didn't attempt much more than a few Instagram videos so I'll defer to those who use wifi more extensively.

I believe you could pre- purchase the basic plan and then upgrade it at any point onboard if you feel the need. I know each of the 24 hrs I bought came with the ability to go back on 'myvoyage' and upgrade the plan. But I've never seen Cunard put any of their add-ons (drinks, wifi, etc.) on sale.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In theory it is cheaper to buy in advance but there are a few factors involved.

So Premium Voyage is $24 per day in advance and $36 onboard; Essential Voyage is $18 per day in advance and $24 on board.

Here are the "howevers".

1) If you are Gold or above on Cunard World Club then the prices are the same onboard as in advance, in order for the CWC discount to work properly.

2) I too haven't noticed much difference between Premium and Essential, however on the various speedchecker  apps, it seems that there is a delayed throttling on Essential service, presumably making it difficult to watch or stream something without buffering,

3) The time periods are 24 hours precisely. Clearly by leaving a few hours between renewals then a 7 day cruise may only need say 5 days of purchases.

4) Your cellphone may pick up a signal from land based systems

5) On embarkation and disembarkation days the land based cellphone system will be easier and faster to use, hopefully your cellphone plan makes that cost effective.

So 3, 4 and 5 together could mean buying about 4 days on a 7 day cruise would cover you for pretty much all you need.

6) OBC can be drawn down on onboard purchases, but not on advance purchases. If your OBC is generous then that may be another reason to buy per day and onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pushpit

So Premium Voyage is $24 per day in advance and $36 onboard; Essential Voyage is $18 per day in advance and $24 on board.

On my personaliser for a 14 night cruise, it has this eg $36 Premium is for a 24hr plan on a per day basis and $24 is the per day pricing for a 14 night Voyage Plan

Premium Voyage Plan.

$336.00pp 

per voyage

$24.00pp 

per day

24-hour plans are available on board: $36.00pp per day

Essential Voyage Plan.

$252.00pp 

per voyage

$18.00pp 

per day

24-hour plans are available on board: $24.00pp per day

Edited by Victoria2
14 night
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know this doesn’t apply to newbie202020, but for a couple with loyalty internet credit each, it’s worth calculating the cost of buying one voyage plan ( for us $252 utilising one Diamond credit of $ 135) or on a per day basis at $24 per day but using two Diamond credits of $135, bearing in mind two devices can use the plan as long as only one device is logged in at any one time.
Even my ropey maths can work that one out! 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1