Mercury passengers ill

Fblack

The possibility of immunity to norovirus is unlikely. Individuals can suffer from a norovirus infection more than once, as each norovirus strain is constantly undergoing genetic mutation. For this reason, it is difficult to develop immunity or a vaccine against norovirus.

This was just posted by the San Diego Union-Tribune today at 4:44 p.m.

Stomach virus hits 142 people on cruise out of San Diego

The ship involved was Holland America's Amsterdam. The Amsterdam just returned to San Diego today, 4/22.

According to the CDC Vessel Sanitation web site, four ships were hit with gastrointestinal illness the week of 3/7. They are RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, HAL Amsterdam, Celebrity Mercury, and Princess Island Princess. Two of the ships left San Diego within a day of each other (Mercury and Amsterdam).

The report on the Mercury says the following

CDC is monitoring the ships response to control the spread of illness.
The ship is providing daily updates to CDC throughout the current voyage (sailing dates 3/17/2006-3/27/2006).

I decided to call the CDC at the phone number on the web page and ask about these reports. The phone was immediately answered by a very helpful person who gave me one other phone number to call. I called the new number and talked to another very helpful person who told me that they are reporting some illness on the Mercury. The percentage GI illness reported is below 3%, the threshold for reporting on the VSP web site.

The person on the phone emphasized the following points.

• Norovirus is a fecal-oral transmitted disease. The best prevention is good hygiene. Always wash your hands before touching your face.
  • The buffets on cruise ships stop allowing passengers to self-serve during one of these outbreaks.
  • Cruise ships arriving in U.S. ports are required to report GI illness. Land-based facilities are not required to report GI illness (schools, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, resorts, etc.) This makes many people incorrectly think that GI illness is just a cruise ship phenomena.

To show the last point, enter the word "norovirus" into a news search engine such as Yahoo News. Notice how many of the following are reporting Norovirus: nursing homes, colleges, whole countries (New Zealand), towns (Thunder Bay, Ontario), hospitals, etc.

I am planning to call the CDC again on Friday for a Mercury update. I am booked on the 3/27 cruise. I am not a "germophobe", but I do want to know what to expect.

Thanks mercruiser. This is great information and I Thank You! Today while this board were dowm I went over to another board where someone posted the Mercury is still sick and released a message from a friend on board now whose husband is sick and quarrantined and she and her so so far are OK.

It sounded like the ship looks simply awful, bleach damage and wet bleach in a variety of locations. Also all the mirrors were sprayed with bleach and this person reported that none of it is allowed to be wiped off.

While not nice, it did sound as though there were not that many cases of outbreak and I had a vague sense the cruisline is doing flat out best to stay on top of it.

What that means for us on Monday, I don't know, but at least if they could delay leaving port by not allowing passengers on and taking some extra time if that would in fact help, I'd feel a little better, but admitedly not a lot better.

Maybe the airports can step up restroom details a bit too since that is such and exchange center for those leaving the ships and those getting on them.

Well, how about this: I’ve called Celebrity yesterday, and their Customer Service Rep flatly denied any knowledge of the virus outbreak. When I’ve mentioned that it is posted on the official gov site (CDC), and the ship is required to provide daily updates to CDC, the rep went and talked to the manager, came back and said the manager didn’t know anything either.

I’ve called CDC this morning, and was told that on the current cruise the numbers as of last night are: 48 passengers and 19 crew (which is 2.4 %). The ship is required to report to CDC when 2.5 % are affected (meaning these people went to the doctor, there may be more who just didn’t go to see the doctor, and therefore not included in the report). I was also told that CDC is sending 2 of their people to Mexico, so that they will board the ship and stay till it arrives in SD to make sure they are doing everything possible to control the virus.

We were really looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in 2 weeks (been on other lines), but not anymore, given the illness and, especially Celebrity's response.

***The ship is providing daily updates to CDC throughout the current voyage (sailing dates 3/17/2006-3/27/2006). The medical staff has reported a higher number of ill passenger and crew than expected. On March 24, VSP staff will board the ship in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and will sail for the remainder of the voyage to conduct an environmental and an epidemiological investigation. VSP staff will consult with onboard medical staff, observe cleaning and disinfection procedures, distribute a survey to determine the cause of illness, and make recommendations.***

From the CDC website.

Well, how about this: I’ve called Celebrity yesterday, and their Customer Service Rep flatly denied any knowledge of the virus outbreak. When I’ve mentioned that it is posted on the official gov site (CDC), and the ship is required to provide daily updates to CDC, the rep went and talked to the manager, came back and said the manager didn’t know anything either.

I’ve called CDC this morning, and was told that on the current cruise the numbers as of last night are: 48 passengers and 19 crew (which is 2.4 %). The ship is required to report to CDC when 2.5 % are affected (meaning these people went to the doctor, there may be more who just didn’t go to see the doctor, and therefore not included in the report). I was also told that CDC is sending 2 of their people to Mexico, so that they will board the ship and stay till it arrives in SD to make sure they are doing everything possible to control the virus.

We were really looking forward to our first Celebrity cruise in 2 weeks (been on other lines), but not anymore, given the illness and, especially Celebrity's response.

We are also sailing in 2 weeks. I am going to wal-mart this weekend to stock up on Pepto and Imodium....Hope we won't need it.

Celebrity's Customer Service denial of the problem is disappointing. The customer service person should have researched the problem and called jspivak back. In stark contrast, the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program people seem to be doing great. I am impressed with their openness about this on the phone. I am really impressed that they are sending staff to board the ship in Puerto Vallarta.

hello,

I received an e- mail from David Forney who is the chief of the Vessel Sanitation program for the CDC. I greatly appreciate Mr. Forney' very prompt and informative reply to my questions on the norovirus outbreak on the Mercury.

Mr. Forney said that the number of pasengers and crew members adversely affected had decreased signicantly (65 or 2.31% of passengers) and 17 or 2.02% of the crew were reported to have difficulties. Mr. Forney added that these numbers are greater thna what is considered normal.

My wife and I will be on the 3/27 sailing.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I spoke with a great guy today at the VSP for the CDC, and if I have it right, George and Jared were flown to PV and are now on board making sure everyhting is being done properly. If not they will show them how to do it or what can be done better or differently.

Today, I learned it can be a three day affair, and it can happen so suddenly there is not time to get to a rest room either for the top or the bottom effect.

That was no good news since I imagine we are all fairly modest people. So my wheels started turning and I think I will find myself a barf bag or two from somewhere, probably swiped from the airline tomorrow, to have with me at all times, but I will not wear depends, at least not yet or for this. ;)

But I am told that the airborne spray from either end is what can create the infection of another, so it goes beyond touching things and using Purell since it can be transmitted by inhaled spray.

This person said they will be trying to determine right now if there is a particular area or areas of the ship that may be an area that needs more intensive santization, and he did indictae that on the changeover Monday, there may very well be areas that are fogged based on what they find now that they are on board, and there is always the change boarding may be delayed to accomplish this.

For the cabins of those who have been infected, he indicated that the bedding is removed and those rooms are fogged as part of the outbreak plan/response.

So I am optimistic about many things I learned today, but this is offset with knowing this can take 3-4 days to shake off if I do get it. or by being dressed in a gown, having a martini, and suddenly experiencing the most embarassing moment of my life.

See you on board Monday. We fly out tomorrow morning early.

I spoke with a great guy today at the VSP for the CDC, and if I have it right, George and Jared were flown to PV and are now on board making sure everyhting is being done properly. If not they will show them how to do it or what can be done better or differently.

Today, I learned it can be a three day affair, and it can happen so suddenly there is not time to get to a rest room either for the top or the bottom effect.

That was no good news since I imagine we are all fairly modest people. So my wheels started turning and I think I will find myself a barf bag or two from somewhere, probably swiped from the airline tomorrow, to have with me at all times, but I will not wear depends, at least not yet or for this. ;)

But I am told that the airborne spray from either end is what can create the infection of another, so it goes beyond touching things and using Purell since it can be transmitted by inhaled spray.

This person said they will be trying to determine right now if there is a particular area or areas of the ship that may be an area that needs more intensive santization, and he did indictae that on the changeover Monday, there may very well be areas that are fogged based on what they find now that they are on board, and there is always the change boarding may be delayed to accomplish this.

For the cabins of those who have been infected, he indicated that the bedding is removed and those rooms are fogged as part of the outbreak plan/response.

So I am optimistic about many things I learned today, but this is offset with knowing this can take 3-4 days to shake off if I do get it. or by being dressed in a gown, having a martini, and suddenly experiencing the most embarassing moment of my life.

See you on board Monday. We fly out tomorrow morning early.

hello,

I received an e- mail from David Forney who is the chief of the Vessel Sanitation program for the CDC. I greatly appreciate Mr. Forney' very prompt and informative reply to my questions on the norovirus outbreak on the Mercury.

Mr. Forney said that the number of pasengers and crew members adversely affected had decreased signicantly (65 or 2.31% of passengers) and 17 or 2.02% of the crew were reported to have difficulties. Mr. Forney added that these numbers are greater thna what is considered normal.

My wife and I will be on the 3/27 sailing.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Hi from San Diego. Thanks to all for keeping us updated on the Norovirus aboard the Mercury. We too, will be on the March 27th cruise (from our home port.)

First, I'm not a physician, so anything I say should be verified with your medical doctor. I did, however, spend a good part of my working career travelling in Central America (including Mexico) & Asia. Some common sense precautions: When ashore, never, I mean never, drink anything with ice. Purell, Germ -X and sanitized wipes & hand lotions are great. We also take a can of Lysol spray. When you arrive in your cabin, as a precaution, spray the couch, bedspread, blankets, TV remote & door handles. As a precaution, we carry prescriptions for Lomotil & Cipro (fortunately, Ive never had to use them.) I don't relish the thought of waiting in an infirmary with lots of other people all suffering from the same communicable outbreak. Keep using the Purrell/Germ-X every time you return to the cabin. Avoid hand contact with face, eyes & hair unless you've used Purrell/Germ-X. AND...when you meet a friend on-board, give them a hug instead of a handshake...it's more sanitary & feels better!

From my recent personal experience with the Mercury Montezuma...

it was three days spent at the Porcelain Palace followed by four days in the Mattress Motel!

I managed to escape the virus on the ship only to be attacked by it on the plane trip the day of disembarkation. We left directly from the cruise port for the flight home & I was feeling fine with absolutely no signs or symptoms of the volcanic eruptions that would occur. Thankfully I had heeded the two minute warning of a severe abdominal cramp & had headed for the bathroom on the plane taking with me the sturdy 'barf bag' compliments of American Airlines.

It's not a pretty picture so I will not go into graphic detail but suffice it to say that the staff of the plane were wonderful and at our destination they transported me off the airplane in a wheelchair to our waiting vehicle. Knowing I couldn't endure even a short car ride we immediately obtained the closest hotel room at the airport because I continued to suffer from intense abdominal spasms & involuntary purging.

Please believe me when I say I do not wish this illness on anyone!

hello,

I received an e-mail from my TA who sent a me an e-mail of a fax that he received this morning from Celebrity (Pacific Standard Time).Celebrity is taking every precaution as well as proactive steps to make sure that the norovirus is contained.The Celebrity fax notice from Celebrity says that there MAY be a delay in sailing but the the notice does not give any more information.

Please note that for those of you who are not familiar with the cruise terminal area, in San Diego, there is a ton of things to do if we can't get on the ship at the usual times. Within a very short walk of the terminal there are restaurants, the USS Midway (this is in the DO NOT MISS category because of the historical interest and because it is really interesting) and a little farther away is the Horton Plaza which is downtown San Diego's main shopping mall and complex. I believe that there is inexpensive public transportation from near the cruise terminal to the Horton Plaza. The San Diego Zoo, Little Italy, Old Town and the Gaslamp area of downtown San Diego are other possibilities. Let's make the best of it and we'll all have a great time. For those of you with children there is an Old Spaghetti Factory in the Gas Lamp area.

Fred

Thanks for the update Fred.

I hope we won't have to wait too long. I'll try to find the Celebrity rep at the San Diegot Airport when I fly in tommorrow to see what the latest information is.

Hoping for a smooth embarkation.

Within a very short walk of the terminal there are restaurants, the USS Midway (this is in the DO NOT MISS category because of the historical interest and because it is really interesting) a

In the other direction is a nautical museum including the ship used in the movie "Master & Commander" and a ex-Russian submarine as well as an old immigrant ship... We toured them between our B2B2B in February. Great value for the money.

Shown below is the full text of the email I received from Celebrity informing me of the Mercury's GI Illness problems. Note that embarkation may be delayed. This message was sent by Celebrity at 12:30 PM, PST on March 26. As far as I know, this is the first acknowledgment by Celebrity of the GI Illness problems on Mercury. Those of us participating on this thread have known about this since March 18 via the CDC web site and the San Diego press.

-Mercruiser

Full Text of Email from Celebrity

Subject: Important information on your upcoming cruise

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 15:30:38 -0500

March 26, 2006

Dear Celebrity Guest,

We are writing to provide you with important information regarding your cruise.

During the last 2 cruises, the Mercury experienced an elevated number of gastrointestinal illnesses. If you require further information about this matter or have concern about taking this cruise, please see the Pier Supervisor for the options available to you or contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-888-281-9343.

In an abundance of caution, we have implemented enhanced cleaning procedures, as recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention onboard all ships in the Celebrity fleet. We are taking all the steps necessary to maintain our high health standards. Due to the extensive preventive measures we're taking to prepare for this next cruise, it is likely that the embarkation time will be delayed. We apologize for this inconvenience, but feel under the circumstances it is necessary. You will likely see some of these activities as our sailing proceeds.

We have no reason to believe that any illness will have any unusual impact on our sailing. However, should you experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhea - commonly associated with a gastrointestinal illness - we strongly encourage you to contact the ship's medical facility for a complimentary consultation and treatment where necessary. A simple conversation with one of our doctors or nurses may resolve any concerns. As always, our medical staff is available to assist you with any questions. We sincerely appreciate your cooperation and assistance.

We thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises for your vacation.

I called Celebrity this morning in response to their email mentioned in my earlier post. The Celebrity (actually RCCL) staff person read the email to me on the phone. This person did not have any additional information beyond what was in the email other than to say there will be additional signs and hand washing stations.

I then talked to the the very helpful and informative staff at the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP). Here is the latest update from the 3/17 - 3/27 cruise. As you may remember from earlier posts, CDC staff joined the ship in Puerto Vallarta.

PAX reporting illness is 107 (this compares to 191 last time)

Crew reporting illness is 24 (this compares to 14 last time).

The CDC does not think the problem is food or water related. If it were, they would expect much higher infection rates. They think it is a personal hygiene problem. Norovirus is very common in the general population right now.

Due to the disinfection program the ship reeks of chlorine. Extra senior staff have been placed on the ship to make sure that protocols are followed.

When arriving at the pier, PAX will get a letter describing the problem and giving them the option whether they want to go or not. Our plan is to go on the cruise.

One last comment. I am very impressed with the helpfulness of the CDC VSP personnel. In stark contrast, I am very disappointed in Celebrity's lack of openness about this. We CC board readers knew about this starting March 17. Celebrity did not even acknowledge it to customers until the email yesterday. I called Celebrity this morning, the day of sailing, and they could/would not tell me anything that was not in the email.

You might want to bring some bottled Gatorade or Propel with you when boarding the ship. It was difficult to stay hydrated during the illness but these products seemed to help. Wishing you all a safe, healthy cruise with abundant sunshine & calm seas!

WOW - I hope your sailing goes better. We get on next Friday when you get off. If you can, post to the board from inboard and let us know how things are going.

Kim..........It's been a long time since I have seen your name. We did the 11 night Mercury over Valentines day and it was a great cruise. Captain Anastasios Salessiotis has your trip left, till he heads home to Greece. He is a gentleman and truly funny. He kept hugging my wife and telling me not to be jealous.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Rick

Just got a call from the port....Some friends of ours just got off Mercury and they say: " it was terrible...bleach smell everywhere and everyone dropping like flies". They are speaking with CNN and say it was the worst cruise they have ever taken. They confirm that CDC was on board, but they, as passengers were told that it was an airborn virus and that nothing could stop it. They want a refund.

Don't shoot the messenger...just want to advise anyone who is headed there now to think twice before getting on right now. I am sure that future travel on Mercury will be wonderful, but she apears to need time to recover.

Four of us cruise together (two couples) on X each January, and Jan 2005 we were on the Mercury for the Mexican itinerary. We are all very active, no kids, and eat/act healthy. Eight days into the cruise I became violently ill with these same symptoms, and my companions did not. I have never been sicker than this in my life--they also quarantined my DH for 24 hours when i came down with it. The medical staff was great, providing me with IVs for hydration on a regular basis, anti nausea inoculations and oral tablets. All of us ate/did/went exactly the same places on board and on shore, but I was the only ahem...WINNER.

Thank goodness I was ah...under control...when disembarking and flying home, an eight hour process.

But when we were on Infinity this January there were none of those handwashing 'balls' at the beginning of the buffet line, so I thought the problem was determined not to be on board ships...

It's gotta be something about that Mexican itinerary--or maybe it's the Mercury...sure hope not.

It's gotta be something about that Mexican itinerary--or maybe it's the Mercury...sure hope not.

We have escaped the norwalk virus twice... both within 6 weeks in the Caribbean last year. We had no problems on Mercury for three voyages in February 2006 nor on Summit as part of our transcanal in November 2005. Once that virus gets lodged it's a tough one to eradicate. I believe it affected 4 Veendam sailings last year before it was no longer virulent.

It could be as simple as baggage handlers/porters handling baggage of pax leaving and reinfecting baggage of people getting on the same day. More ships than Mercury were affected leaving San Diego last week.

Archived