Impact of Christmas Boat Parade on Los Olas?

SeasideMemories

We are thinking of staying one night post-cruise at either the Riverside or Hyatt Centric on 12/16. Just noticed that it is the night of the Christmas Boat Parade. How crazy does it get crowd-wise? Also does anyone know if it affects the water-taxi during the day? We were hoping to get off the ship, drop our luggage off at the hotel, have brunch and then maybe spend some time sight-seeing on the water taxi as we have in the past. Still possible/enjoyable with the boat parade or should we be making other plans? Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

The boat parade  is very likely to affect the Water Taxi, especially up the New River (downtown Fort Lauderdale). I would expect no service service up the river after 3 or 3:30.

As to street and crowd traffic on Las Olas: it will be significant. There is not much pure public river access between the western edge of Riverside property to a park called “Tarpon Bend,” just east of SE 15 Avenue. The Riverside’s Boathouse restaurant is directly on the river; the hotel also has a private park immediately adjacent. I’d expect they would have a private party in their park.

Restaurants will be very busy until dark.

The Episcopal Church off Las Olas (about SE 13th Ave) typically puts up some grandstands on its property and charges an entrance fee. The (city) park at Tarpon Bend has not charged an admission fee, AFAIK.

I used to live just a couple blocks from the Riverside. The boat parade is a huge event in FLL with the Riverside hotel area being pretty much ground zero for the event...they set up the judges stand just adjacent to the hotel. The "morning/day" of the parade should be ok with traffic building during the afternoon and the area being crazy by early evening. The morning/day after the parade is pretty much back to normal. It's a great fun event to attend....if you are checking into the hotel the morning of the boat parade you should be fine but just know the area will be packed that afternoon/evening and traffic will be crazy during that time. Restaurants and bars will be crazy packed. Do know that parts of the outdoor pool area of the Riverside where the Boathouse restaurant is located will be a private/paid event.

Thank you both for your responses!

Sounds like there wouldn’t be any place right near either hotel to actually watch the parade unless part of a private event. The walk to the church or park doesn’t look too bad! We’ve walked to Rocco’s before and it looks to be about the same distance give or take. I’m leaning toward getting off the ship early, checking in to our hotel, dropping off luggage and then doing the water taxi sightseeing well before the parade. Then we can play lunch/dinner options from there. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 5:10 AM, bajathree said:

I used to live just a couple blocks from the Riverside. The boat parade is a huge event in FLL with the Riverside hotel area being pretty much ground zero for the event...they set up the judges stand just adjacent to the hotel. The "morning/day" of the parade should be ok with traffic building during the afternoon and the area being crazy by early evening. The morning/day after the parade is pretty much back to normal. It's a great fun event to attend....if you are checking into the hotel the morning of the boat parade you should be fine but just know the area will be packed that afternoon/evening and traffic will be crazy during that time. Restaurants and bars will be crazy packed. Do know that parts of the outdoor pool area of the Riverside where the Boathouse restaurant is located will be a private/paid event.

Unfortunately I just saw this post yesterday night. We are booked at the Riverside hotel and flying in at the worst time- 5:30pm. How difficult do you think it will be to get to the hotel by taxi or Uber? Do you think it’s better we just switch hotels?

If the OP's flight lands @ 5:30 and is on time or late, getting to the hotel any time before 7:00 on the parade night may, unfortunately, be unlikely, US1 will be a mess. and the Andrews and Third Avenue bridges will be worse. The SW 4th/7th bridge can also be a bit messy.

• Like 1

Thanks! I would love to watch the parade and it appears we have great seats, I do agree though, I think we may have a tough time getting there. I can only imagine the meter running up in a taxi and the maniacal laugh of the taxi driver. LOL

I recommend routing from the FLL airport out 595 to 95 North to Broward Boulevard to SE 7th Avenue to the Riverside. It's a bit roundabout, but should avoid as much of the car traffic associated with the parade as possible.

On 12/7/2023 at 12:53 PM, tigger77732 said:

Unfortunately I just saw this post yesterday night. We are booked at the Riverside hotel and flying in at the worst time- 5:30pm. How difficult do you think it will be to get to the hotel by taxi or Uber? Do you think it’s better we just switch hotels?

I would switch hotels as anything in that area is going to be very difficult to get to at that time.