Long Beach instead of San Pedro Hotel

lakegirl16

Sailing on the Discovery Princess February '24.  Looking at hotels for one night.  We stayed at the DoubleTree last December, pre cruise.  It was so so.  Room was very worn and somewhat stale smelling.  Not terrible but not great.  We have two other couples sailing with us in February.  I've read the reviews of the Crown Plaza and they seem about same as DT.  

Thinking about staying in Long Beach pre-cruise instead.  Everyone is flying into Long Beach.  Looking for hotel recommendations that would be within walking distance of a nice place for dinner.  Dinner recommendations, welcomed too!

Thank you.  

• Like 1

You have two choices, in my view; stay at the airport or stay in Downtown Long Beach.

By the airport are a few new hotels in a new complex with some very nice places to dine. See the link below.

https://thelongbeachexchange.com/shop-dine

Downtown Long Beach gives you more choices for hotels, but the nice ones tend to be more expensive. You also have more dining choices and you can eat on the water at a couple of nice places.

Downtown LB puts you about 6 miles from the San Pedro terminal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Downtown Long Beach gives you more choices for hotels, but the nice ones tend to be more expensive. You also have more dining choices and you can eat on the water at a couple of nice places.

Downtown LB puts you about 6 miles from the San Pedro terminal.

Thank you.  Can you recommend the restaurants on the water?  Understand Downtown Long Beach may be more expensive, I did a little looking and compared to San Pedro not that much more, assuming the hotels are nicer.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, lakegirl16 said:

Thank you.  Can you recommend the restaurants on the water?  Understand Downtown Long Beach may be more expensive, I did a little looking and compared to San Pedro not that much more, assuming the hotels are nicer.  Thanks again.

There are some very nice hotels in Long Beach, right on or near the water. The Hyatt, Hilton and Westin come to mind. We stayed at the Hyatt many years ago, but tend to stay in Torrance now pre-cruise as it's generally much cheaper. Not an option for you, I realize, as you're flying in to LGB and not LAX as we do.

Restaurant-wise, there are lot of options on Shoreline Drive near the big outlet mall and the Hyatt, all circling the marina/harbor. All budgets and tastes, Google Maps will show you the options. Some great options if you love dining on the water as we do.  Tequila Jack's was a great place, right on the marina, but VERY busy when we ate there.

A long shot, and I do strongly suggest doing your due diligence, is the Queen Mary. Even if you don't stay overnight, it's a very neat visit, very historical and interesting. We won't ever again stay there overnight, even after its recent renovation, but it did have a few very neat bars and restaurants, very Art Deco.  They were excellent, much better than the room we had ;o)  Worth looking in to.  Have a great trip.

• Thanks 1

I like the Queensview Steakhouse at Parker's Lighthouse. Parker's is kind of a tourist trap, more expensive than it needs to be, but the steakhouse is well worth the cost. Gladstone's Long Beach is another landmark spot, also touristy, but fin; Shenanigans Irish Pub is good pub food and usually has live entertainment.

If we go to Long Beach to eat, it is usually L'Opera or Michael's on Naples, two outstanding Italian restaurants.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 9/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, scottca075 said:

I like the Queensview Steakhouse at Parker's Lighthouse. Parker's is kind of a tourist trap, more expensive than it needs to be, but the steakhouse is well worth the cost. Gladstone's Long Beach is another landmark spot, also touristy, but fin; Shenanigans Irish Pub is good pub food and usually has live entertainment.

If we go to Long Beach to eat, it is usually L'Opera or Michael's on Naples, two outstanding Italian restaurants.

We are going to be in Long Beach, precruise.  Staying at the Hyatt on 2/14 for a cruise that departs 2/15.  In addition to Queensview, there's also a Parker's Lighthouse resturant, correct?  How is that?  We're a group of 6 and I'm sharing with the others the options for dinner.  Between, Parkers, Queensview and L'Opera.  Can you share your thoughts on  each of the three?  I'd originally thought the location by the water would be best  but based on time of year, it will be dark.  Thank you for your assistance.

Edited by lakegirl16
add

On 1/3/2024 at 9:35 PM, lakegirl16 said:

We are going to be in Long Beach, precruise.  Staying at the Hyatt on 2/14 for a cruise that departs 2/15.  In addition to Queensview, there's also a Parker's Lighthouse resturant, correct?  How is that?  We're a group of 6 and I'm sharing with the others the options for dinner.  Between, Parkers, Queensview and L'Opera.  Can you share your thoughts on  each of the three?  I'd originally thought the location by the water would be best  but based on time of year, it will be dark.  Thank you for your assistance.

From my original post, "Parker's is kind of a tourist trap, more expensive than it needs to be".

L'Opera is by far the best of the three.